Five days is very little vacation time <for me> because leisure time is very important <to me>.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hi teachers,
I wonder if my explanation in sentence "b" is natural to understand sentence "a".
a) Five days is very little vacation time for me because leisure time is very important to me.
b) Five days is very little vacation time for my benefit because leisure time is very important in my opinion.

Thanks in advance.

• suzi br

English / England
    Hi teachers,
    I wonder if my explanation in sentence "b" is natural to understand sentence "a".
    a) Five days is very little vacation time for me because leisure time is very important to me.
    b) Five days is very little vacation time for my benefit because leisure time is very important in my opinion.

Thanks in advance.
    I am struggling to see how the two halves of this relate on either side of “because”.
    What’s the context for this?
    I can’t comment on your actual question without understanding what you are trying to communicate here.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    I am struggling to see how the two halves of this relate on either side of “because”.
    What’s the context for this?
    I can’t comment on your actual question without understanding what you are trying to communicate here.
    This sentence is a correction. It's part of a student's composition about a trip to a village. She's just expressing her opinion about how short her holiday was.

TL

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I think the repetition (for me/to me) is awkward in (a), and I'd have written "... my leisure time is important".

And without tinkering about with it too much, I'd use "not enough" instead of "very little" in the first part. But I'm afraid I wouldn't use version (b).

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    I think the repetition (for me/to me) is awkward in (a), and I'd have written "... my leisure time is important".
    I appreciate your help. That's really simple and neat, Donny.

And without tinkering about with it too much, I'd use "not enough" instead of "very little" in the first part. But I'm afraid I wouldn't use version (b)
    Me neither. I won't use it. It's just to explain to the students what do "for me" and "to me" mean in this case.

TL

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    My leisure time is really important to me. I don't think 5 days' vacation is long enough is a better way of putting the first sentence.
    Hi YLR,
    Thanks for your interest as well.

Would these ones work too?
    a) Five days off isn't enough for me because my leisure time is very important.
    b) Five days' holiday/vacation is too short for me because my leisure time is very important.
    c) Five days isn’t enough vacation time for me because my leisure time is very important.

TL

< Previous | Next >