Fix supplying, bend this, sheer drop!

< Previous | Next >

an0n

Japanese
Fix supplying, bend this, sheer drop!

The character who speaks this line has a Scottish accent. (It's from a radio drama.)
Basically, what's happening is that there is Car A parked on the road, the driver of Car B sees the car and makes an abrupt stop, then shouts this at the other driver of Car A.
What I am guessing is that the speaker is annoyed with the other driver, who's probably fixing his car ("fix supply"), and is telling him that it's a "sheer drop" so be careful. I'm not sure what "bend this" means in this line.
It is related to cars, that's what I am sure. I might have heard the words incorrectly, so please feel welcome to suggest other alternatives.
Thanks!

• pob14

American English
    I'm 97.3% sure you've heard the words wrong, an0n, because this doesn't make any sense. Is the radio drama available online, by any chance? If not, can you at least give us the name, and describe what happens before and after this scene? And what are the names of the characters involved? That information might at least allow for an educated guess.

an0n

Japanese
    The radio drama was from BBC Radio 4, titled Spellbound.

Basically, what happens before is the heroine, Constance, is riding a cab (I think it is a cab, not sure) to Landry House, her new workplace. They meet a fellow doctor, Robert Murchinson (driver B) on the way and the scene ends with them going to the hospital together.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

DocPenfro

English - British
    Hi an0n, and welcome to Wordreference

I don't think we're going to get far just with what you've given us here. How do you know that the character had a Scottish accent? What was the title of the programme, and where did you hear it?

The only suggestion I can make is that it is "Fff... it's a blind bend, this - sheer drop!"

(cross-posted with the above)

Last edited:

an0n

Japanese
    Why I think the man has a Scottish accent, I'm not sure about that. It sounded familiar, perhaps? With the r sounds...?
    The title of the programme and a part that I heard is more on the third post. I hope that helps...

Thank you:)

pob14

American English
    I think Doc is somewhere close - I was thinking "it's a blind bend, this, she'll drop." (This road goes around a corner where I can't see, so your stupid driving, Robert, almost made me go over the edge.) It could be an explanation of why he stopped. The driver seems angry with Robert ("I'll give him 'go on'!" = "Don't tell me to go on, you moron!") I think that's about as close as I'll ever get. The program - sorry, programme - isn't available on the BBC site.

an0n

Japanese
    Thank you so much! I'm guessing that's the closest...
    I still hear the 'supply' part... Maybe it's a variant of supply?
    I'm sorry that the radio isn't available. It was something from my language courses;(
    If there's other alterations you can think of, I'd be very happy to know!

DocPenfro

English - British
    The program - sorry, programme
    Very gentlemanly of you. Funnily enough, I wrote it the AmE way and then realised it was missing a bit when I was checking it over. In the UK we have computer programs and radio programmes, which is hardly a satisfactory situation, and I suspect that the longer spelling's days are numbered. However, since it was broadcast on the good old Beeb (BBC) we'll stick to it for today.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Spellbound is the Radio adaptation of Hitchcock's film.

From Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spellbound_(1945_film)#Plot final paragraphs of the "plot" section"
    Near the bottom of the hill, Brown's memory suddenly returns. He recalls that there is a precipice in front of them, over which Edwardes had fallen to his death. He stops them just in time.
    Driver: "It's a blind bend, this! sheer drop!

The other words might well be disjointed recollections of the fatal incident in which [spoiler alert] the hero realises he has been traumatised by seeing his brother slide off a roof and fatally impale himself on railings.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Good research there, Myridon and Paul. :thumbsup:
    [...] I still hear the 'supply' part... Maybe it's a variant of supply? [...]
    I've listened to it. The accent, an0n, isn't Scottish; it's Yorkshire. I can see how you might be hearing "supply". In "it's a blind bend", the "t" of "it's" isn't very clear — the word "a" is pronounced as a neutral vowel sound (as would be the "u" of "supply") — the letters "b" and "p" are similar plosives — the "d" of "blind" isn't articulated (rather like in "Blimey", which comes from "Blind me").

Ws:)

< Previous | Next >