Fix up, try for, saw to it

vincentsh

CHINESE
I got a season's pass into this place. Maine has no death penalty, but the district attorney saw to it that I was tried for all three deaths and given three life sentences, to run one after the other. That fixed up any chance of parole I might have, for a long, long time.

1. Fixed up
Here, what does the" fix up" means?

2. Be tried for:
How to understand this phrase? My understanding for the "Try" is "attempt ro do something" , isn't it?

3. Saw to it:
I don't know what does mean?

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... the district attorney made sure that I charged with all three deaths, subjected to trial for all three deaths, and given three life sentences, to run one after the other. That eliminated any chance of parole ...

Koneko

French
    Hi,
    1."Fixed up" means the person/character will definitely not have a "chance of parole".
    2. "Tried" refers to a "trial" here. The narrator is put on a trial "for all three deaths".
    3. "Saw to it": "made sure".
    Hope it helps!

Eamnyc22

English
    1. "Fix up" in this context means to foreclose/cut off all other possiblities (here, any other chance for parole)

2. The verb "to try" in this context is legal terminology that means to bring someone (a defendant) to trial or to be brought to trial in a court of law. It is an active verb - the court or the prosecuting attorney is the person who tries the defendant.

3. "Saw to it" means to make sure something happens. It is used when someone intends to convey that they took personal responsbility for an outcome. For example, "I saw to it that my neighbor's plants got watered while he was on vacation".

< Previous | Next >