fix up / will fix up

• owlman5

English-US
    What are you trying to say, English Grammar? Are you saying that you hope this person will tell others when the event takes place?

owlman5

English-US
    That's correct ;)
    Thank you, English Grammar. I wouldn't use "fix" or "fix up" with that meaning. If I wanted this person to post the date on the internet or a bulletin board, I'd use that verb: I hope you post the date of this event ... If I had some other meaning in mind, I'd alter my sentence to fit the circumstances.

Do you want this person to post the date somewhere in "Facebook"? If you do, then "post" is a good choice. If you have some other idea in mind, then you might need a different verb.

I'm not allowed to rewrite your sentence, English Grammar, but that phrase should help you get started.

englishgrammar

Croatian - Croatia
    Thank you, English Grammar. I wouldn't use "fix" or "fix up" with that meaning. If I wanted this person to post the date on the internet or a bulletin board, I'd use that verb: I hope you post the date of this event as soon as you know when it will be. If I had some other meaning in mind, I'd alter my sentence to fit the circumstances.

Do you want this person to post the date somewhere in "Facebook"?
    But, you see.
    The event has already been created using one random date which does not represent anything..
    When he finds out when this show is going to start, I would like him to fix the date of this event. Hope you get me.

owlman5

English-US
    But, you see.
    The event has already been created using one random date which does not represent anything..
    When he finds out when this show is going to start, I would like him to fix the date of this event. Hope you get me.
    I'm sure trying to "get you", English Grammar. If you mean "set a definite date for something", then "fix a date" should work. "Fix up" wouldn't make any sense.

Copyright

American English
    Since we're friends, let me be honest: You've made a perfect hash of this conversation, englishgrammar. :D Although you did spell grammar properly in your name, so we'll forgive you.

Let's review the evidence:
    You agreed with owlman that "you hope this person will tell others when the event takes place."
    But then you say "When he finds out when this show is going to start, I would like him to fix the date of this event."

These, of course, don't mean the same thing.
    And "finding out when the show is going to start" is not the same thing as "fixing a date" -- you can only fix a date if you're on the organizing committee and are in charge of, well, fixing a date. Once the date is fixed, then other people 1) will know it, and 2) can tell their friends.

< Previous | Next >