Fixed the bug [where/which/that] some pictures don't show up.

< Previous | Next >

mycityofsky

Mandarin
Let's say I'm developing an image gallery software. Recently users found that some pictures wouldn't show up on it. They reported the bug to me, then I fixed it immediately. I need to add the update to my release summary so users would know that it's working now. How should I say that? Which of the following sentence is correct?

1. Fixed the bug where some pictures don't show up.
2. Fixed the bug which some pictures don't show up.
3. Fixed the bug that some pictures don't show up.

Thanks in advance.

• Juhasz

English - United States
    Sentence 1 should probably not be used in formal writing, but in the context of a release note, it's perfectly fine.

Sentences 2 and 3 are incorrect. Instead, you would need something like: "Fixed the bug that caused some pictures not to show up."

Software release notes are often not written in complete sentences and are often not perfectly grammatical (which is why sentence 1 is definitely OK), but knowing which imperfections are permissible could be a serious challenge for a non-native speaker.

kentix

English - U.S.
    "Fixed the bug that caused some pictures not to show up."

This is best to me but the original #1 is okay, too. "where" is better in speech than in writing, though. It's open to multiple meanings.

I'm not certain, but I think those release notes usually say "fixed a bug...". Not all users know any or all of these bugs exist so "a" is more appropriate than "the".

Fixed a bug that prevented some pictures from appearing in the gallery.

v_shashenko

Russian
    Do these variants sound correct?
    1. Fixed a bug about some pictures not appearing in the gallery
    2. Fixed a bug regarding some pictures not appearing in the gallery

kentix

English - U.S.
    No, they don't sound right.

You don't fix a bug "about" something, you fix a bug that does something.

There was a bug that prevented some pictures from appearing in the gallery. We fixed that bug.

You shorten that to:
    Fixed a bug that prevented some pictures from appearing in the gallery.

"Fixed a bug" is not full grammar, but this is a list with bullet points, so full grammar is not required. With full grammar, we would say "We fixed a bug".

The same explanation applies to example 2.

< Previous | Next >