flabbergasted/amazed

< Previous | Next >

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
I know that flabbergasted means to feel surprised, but amazed also has this connotation.
How would you complete this sentence? Would you use "flabbergasted" or "amazed"? I don't think I quite understand the difference between the two.

People who know him as a scientist are ____when they hear that he is one of the world's foremost paper-folding artists, and are often surprised that such a thing as a professional origami artist even exists.

• 94kittycat

Canadian English
    In this case, I would use amazed. Now a days, in normal speech amazed is commonly used and sounds more formal than flabbergasted. Flabbergasted, (to me, anyway...) is kind of a fun word and used when you are absolutely at a loss for words and are more than amazed!

GenJen54

USA - English
    Joelline gave a great example!

To be "amazed" is to be surprised or awed by something. To be flabbergasted is to be hit with level of complete unexpectedness that you react way beyond a measure of mere amazement.

kalamazoo

US, English
    "Flabbergasted" has the sense of being surprised because something is actually contrary to expectations - "people who know him as a scientist are flabbergasted when they find out he is a serial killer' or "people who know him as a scientist are flabbergasted when they learn he has no formal education."

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Thanks for all of you's crystal clear explanations!
    I am always a big fan of Joelline. His examples are the cream of my coffee...

< Previous | Next >