flaccid---negative?

< Previous | Next >

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi,

I wonder if flaccid is an impolite word to male (most of the time)? If I want to say to my male friend that his muscle is flaccid (lacking of exercise), e.g. Kenny, you look flaccid. or You're flaccid. Would it be considered a way of making fun of his penis?

Thanks.

• Marty10001

Ireland/English
    You are right it just means lacking firmness and could apply to say, your stomach. Just be careful there is no misunderstanding, such as, "are you always flaccid?"

Brioche

Australia English
    Hi,

I wonder if flaccid is an impolite word to male (most of the time)? If I want to say to my male friend that his muscle is flaccid (lacking of exercise), e.g. Kenny, you look flaccid. or You're flaccid. Would it be considered a way of making fun of his penis?

Thanks.
    Very few people would recognise the word "flaccid".
    It's not an everyday word.
    It's the sort of word medical professionals use.

Whether you say "Kenny, you look flabby", or "Kenny, you look flaccid", I don't think Kenny will take it as a compliment!

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Very few people would recognise the word "flaccid".
    It's not an everyday word.
    It's the sort of word medical professionals use.

Whether you say "Kenny, you look flabby", or "Kenny, you look flaccid", I don't think Kenny will take it as a compliment!
    Thank you, I see your point.:)

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Most men wouldn't know the meaning of flaccid? I'd be shocked if most didn't, but then men are funny creatures who surprise me all the time. They can spot a bare breast from a mile away, but they can't see the container of milk on the top shelf of the refrigerator, right there in front of them.

My opinion would be to use another word or phrase if you want to be clear on what you're stating.

I like Brioche's suggestion of "You're looking a little flabby."

Others in AE:
    "Slacking off on the exercise program, are we?"
    "I think you've eaten one too many burgers." (Or add your own food choice.)
    "You're looking a little out of shape."

It all depends how good of friends you are with the guy. These are said in a jesting way to close friends who will understand your sense of humor.

I don't think they'd like it if you used the word flaccid.

But, like I said, men are a mystery to me sometimes.

AngelEyes

river

U.S. English
    The Dictionary of Uncomfortable Words lists "flaccid" as one of those words "that make people uncomfortable when in public": "These are not dirty words, but rather uncomfortable words like "dike," or "penal." "

Note that flaccid is properly pronounced flak-sid, though many (and I think many would recognize this word) say flas-id.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Thank you, river and AngelEyes, for your kind reply.

I heard the line on TV from a girl (non-native) who once studied in the U.S. She, at that time, didn't have good English, and one time she wanted to describe one of his male classmates that You're flexible, but she made a mistake and said You're flaccid. The boy (nice guy) was laughing and said: ''How do you know, You never try.'' So this event made the girl embarassed and unforgettable.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    You're flaccid. The boy (nice guy) was laughing and said: ''How do you know? You never try.''
    Kenny,

That's a great comeback line! :D
    He rose to the occasion on that one.

It did occur to me that if the situation involved two good male friends, using the word flaccid would be a great way to tell a guy he's out of shape, because not only does it actually mean he's flabby, but it's a great double use of the word when said in jest.

And if he's in shape, odds are he'd be more flexible, as well. (That's was a good one, too...)

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >