flares go up and somebody gets a beed [bead] on Timlin

Yoanita

German
Hi everyone,

this is a sentence from a text about WWI (Dalton Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun) and I am not sure if I got it right:

"Middle of the service, flares go up and somebody gets a beed on Timlin and shots him right smack in the bottom."

flares = luminous signal
somebody gets a beed on ... = somebody is aiming at ...

Do you agree with my interpretation?

Yo.

• Myridon

English - US
    Your "quote" is not remotely similar to the sentence I found searching the book on Amazon.com. Are you paraphrasing or do you really have something that says that?
    Both are in the word reference dictionary (It's bead not beed).

Packard

USA, English
    Traditional iron sights (for aiming) on a handgun or rifle consists of a rear sight (usually a V-notch or peep hole) and a front sight which is usually a post with small "bead" at the top.

When you have the front post centered in the V-notch you have "the bead on the target". Your bullet should hit the target.

Yoanita

German
    First of all, thank you for correcting me, pob14 and Myriad. The sentence might not be in the book because it is from the play. Actually I did find both expressions in dictionaries but I wanted to find out if they could mean something else. But you seem to understand them the same way. So, thanks for your replies!

< Previous | Next >