Flashbulb in a slum shack

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Texas Viejo, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Texas Viejo Senior Member

Dallas, Texas
    USA English
    English Original: Chorti Tonal's report was clear, brief and direct, like a flashbulb in a slum-shack.

Spanish Translation Attempted: El informe de Chorty Tonal era claro, breve, y directo, como un bombilla fusible de la cámara fotográfica en una choza del barrio bajo.

If the sentence works, the metaphor will surpise and amuse. Since Spanish isn't my natural language, I don't know whether it works or not.

I'm not to happy with that eleven-syllable flashbulb provided by Google. It takes a while to flash.

Comments welcome.

2. adelfonsu Senior Member

Lima
    castellano
    The flashbulb refers to what we simply call "a flash".
    And the slum-shack, I assume, is a very poor house in a very poor neighbourhood, right?

If this is correct, I'd suggest:

"El informe de Chorti Tonal era claro, breve y directo, como un flash en una casucha"

Hope it helps...

Adelph

3. Texas Viejo Senior Member

Dallas, Texas
    USA English
    Sr. Adelfonsu:

Thanks for your expert ayudas.

Re. "the slum-shack, I assume, is a very poor house in a very poor neighbourhood, right?"

I heard (about 1963) that, south of Ciudad de Mexico, there's a... Okay: Here in Dallas, homeless people sometimes gather, under a highway overpass, and house themselves with refrigerator boxes, discarded matresses, fithy blankets, &c. - "Boxtown." Not so much "a very poor neighborhood" as Calcutta.

I asked Mi Amigacho, "What do they call the place?" He said:

"La favela - a word of Portuguese origin."

So I started with (amended thanks to your sugestion):

como un flash en una choza de la favela.

But WordReference Dictionary says favela = "shack." So I went with "barrio bajo."

Chorti Tonal is a police detective in Mexico City. His report goes to his supervisor, Roberto Escobedo.

Again, many thanks,

Tami
    +++

4. adelfonsu Senior Member

Lima
    castellano
    Hey,Tami... I am not sure about Mexican cities, but around our cities in Peru, we call it "pueblo joven" (new town), and yes, in Brazil hey call it "favelas".

Maybe a Mexican can provide you with a more precise entry.

best regards again.
    LM

5. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    Mi intento sería así:

El informe de Chorty Tonal era claro, breve, y directo, como un cohete en una choza.

Saludos.

6. Texas Viejo Senior Member

Dallas, Texas
    USA English
    Sr. Zumac:

Thanks for the rocket through the slum shack.

Clearly, you are the Go-to Guy for Mexico City usage.

Salu2,

Tami
    +++

7. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    A "cohete" is a firecracker, not a rocket.
    Still, it would make a big impression in a slum shack.

And thanks for the "go-to" bit.

Saludos.

8. fenixpollo

fenixpollo moderator

Arizona
    American English
  9. theBasajawNisontheForesT New Member

Spain, spanish (of course)
    Hello Texas Viejo:

In Spain you may say:

"... como un destello en una chabola"

"Destello" could have a lot of synonyms but I think "chabola" is the word you are lookin for (in Spain at least, I am not sure in South America).

Chao.