flat below

• Dission

UK
    Spanish, Spain
    The difference is that the first one is correct whereas the second one is not (or at least not used)

Dission

UK
    Spanish, Spain
    Well, I am not a english native speaker but I can tell you that "the girl of the flat below" is not used and does not sound very good around here, anyway I just asked my girlfriend (native speaker) and agrees with me.

you can´t say in english
    the dog of my sister
    the girl of the flat below...

"of" in these cases can´t fulfill the meaning of "de"

chicalita

English
    Es un punto de contexto, y costumbre - a ver:

"of the flat below":

es tan formal ya no es correcto mas, por lo menos aqui en los EEUU. No se si hay reglas para explicarlo. Es lo que se dice cuando quisiera presenta una princesa, or un rey...Presenting The Royal and Mighty Hoity Toity of Jarlsberg.

"in the flat below":

implica que esta, ahora y/o en general. Como es donde vive ella, o ella esta (lo siento no puedo usar acentos en esa computadora)

"from the flat below":

dice que es donde vive ella, y es decir es de donde ella.

espero que te ayude

RosettaStone

Banned
    Scotland English
    "the girl in the flat below" could suggest that the girl is actually living in the flat at the time of speaking.

whereas "the girl of the flat below" suggests the flat is owned by a girl who isn't there at the moment.

Depending on phrase and meaning it is better to use the "of " when its relates to something or someone as in "The Duke of Wellington" not "The Wellington's Duke"

RosettaStone

Banned
    Scotland English
    A famous commando movie was called "The Dogs of War" and not "The War Dogs". By using the word "of " you are often giving more emphasis to the phrase

< Previous | Next >