flaw

KYC

Mandarin
Hi! Everyone:
I am practicing the uasge of the word " flaw".
I made sentences as follows:
1. I think everyone always has more or less character flaw.
2. There should not be any flaw in the product.

Is the usage idiomatic? Also could you correct them for me?
Thanks very much!

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    The second is correct; "there should be no flaw/flaws in the product" and "there shouldn't be any flaws in the produce" are more idiomatic, I believe.

The first sentence is, frankly, confusing. I'm not certain of what you're trying to say.

Nymeria

English - Barbadian/British/educated in US universities blend
    I think the first sentence is intended to mean that all humans have flaws in their characters. We are imperfect individuals.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Perhaps, then, "I think everyone has some character flaws." The use of "always" is redundant when you say that everyone has them, but it is grammatical. The use of "more or less" confuses me still, though. Do you mean to say that some people have more character flaws than others?

KHS

I think it may be more common to speak of flaws in slightly more abstract items, eg

I can't find any flaws in his reasoning/logic/argument/line of defense/approach.

and less often used (although acceptable) with a product.

If you want examples of sentences with the word 'flaw' or 'flaws' (I think the plural will get you more hits) to see different ways the word is used, this would be a good time to use a corpus:
    http://view.byu.edu/

KYC

Mandarin
    Thanks for all of your clarifications!
    What Nymeria said is right.
    I want to espress everyone has some flaws in their character.

< Previous | Next >