fleeting first-hand observation ---

< Previous | Next >

kazuhiko fudaba

Japanese
In the article of VOA: With Trump-Kim Summit Over, What Now?, there is a sentence as follows.

This we know from high-level defectors, long-time diplomats in Pyongyang, fleeting first-hand obserbations by journalists such as myself and the rare reliable intelligence intercepts.

Question) Woud you paraphrase the bold part and is this main sentence grammatically accentuated ?

Thank you.

Kazu Fudaba

• Barque

Tamil
    fleeting first-hand obserbations by journalists such as myself and the rare reliable intelligence intercepts.
    Fleeting first-hand observations: I assume you've looked up the dictionary definitions of fleeting and first-hand. Is there something about them that you aren't sure about?

Rare reliable intelligence intercepts: An intelligence intercept refers to information obtained (intercepted) by intelligence agencies (probably of the US, since this from VOA). The phrase suggests that reliable intercepts are rare.

It's probably "the rare reliable intelligence intercept" (singular) or "rare reliable intelligence intercepts" (without "the"). Perhaps you could check.

is this main sentence grammatically accentuated ?
    I'm afraid I haven't understood. Could you please clarify?

kazuhiko fudaba

Japanese
    I think that the first paragraph is an emphasized sentence of "We know this from high-level defectors, long-tem diplomats in Pyonyang,---."

kazuhiko fudaba

Japanese
    Can I understand this phrase as follows?

We know this from defectors (long-time diplomats in Pyongyang), from observations by journalists
    and from the rare intelligence intercepts.

Kazu Fudaba

< Previous | Next >