flesh & blood

abusaifali

Arabic
Hi all,
Is it okay to express a resemblance between two brothers and say it like this "it's James blood and flesh just a little darker". Trying to say that the brother has a very clear resemblance except the skin color.
Thank you guys

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    Hello :)
    No it isn't OK to say that. "Flesh and blood" is a set expression, a collocation or idiom, of very limited use.
    I suggest: "They resemble each other ( in every respect) except (James') skin is a little darker".

:)
    Hermione

Cameljockey

British English
    Hello :)
    No it isn't OK to say that. "Flesh and blood" is a set expression, a collocation or idiom, of very limited use.
    I suggest: "They resemble each other ( in every respect) except (James') skin is a little darker".

:)
    Hermione
    You're right, but I think the OP might be looking for a colourful expression.

Some are:
    They are like two peas in a pod.
    X is the spitting image of Y.
    X is a dead ringer for Y (quite slangy).

With all of these, you can add 'except...'

Packard

USA, English
    also:

"a near-clone"

"could be twins"

"like twins separated at birth"

"penguins" (All penguins look alike--this might not work depending on how you use it.)

LV4-26

Does like two drops of water ring a bell with anyone?
    It's used in several other languages including mine and I was wondering if it exists in English.
    I've seen a good many Google hits for it, and not only in reference to the Dutch movie.

Cameljockey

British English
    Does like two drops of water ring a bell with anyone?
    It's used in several other languages including mine and I was wondering if it exists in English.
    I've seen a good many Google hits for it, and not only in reference to the Dutch movie.
    I never heard it in BEng so may not be very common.

Cameljockey

British English
    also:

"a near-clone"

"could be twins"

"like twins separated at birth"

"penguins" (All penguins look alike--this might not work depending on how you use it.)
    They're like penguins?? Really? That's so funny. Is it used like that? I can imagine that maybe you are looking at a husband and wife in matching Christmas sweaters and making a slightly sarcastic comment to your friend? :)

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    They're like penguins?? Really? That's so funny. Is it used like that? I can imagine that maybe you are looking at a husband and wife in matching Christmas sweaters and making a slightly sarcastic comment to your friend? :)
    It is often stated that "all penguins look alike" (but probably not to their mothers).

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguin

(Scroll down to "In poplular culture".)

The tendency of penguins to form large groups feeds the stereotype that they all look exactly alike, a popular notion exploited by cartoonists such as Gary Larson.

Packard

USA, English
    Ah, so it's not a recognised expression, that's a shame.
    I think it is a recognized notion, but not a recognized phrase. You would have to write your own phrase to represent that notion.

an example:

They could have been penguins; they looked so much alike.

< Previous | Next >