Flesh on a Friday is more abomination ....

Faramarz2015

Persian
Hi,

I can't grasp the meaning of the underlined part. Could you help me?

Thank you so much.

-With the superfluity of his usury he builds an hospital, and harbours them whom his extortion hath spoiled; so while he makes many beggars he keeps some. He turneth all gnats into camels, and cares not to undo the world for a circumstance. Flesh on a Friday is more abomination to him than his neighbour’s bed: he more abhors not to uncover at the name of Jesus than to swear by the name of God.

THE HYPOCRITE; Joseph Hall (1574-1656)

• Faramarz2015

Persian
    Thank you. How about "his neighbour’s bed"? What does it mean?

And this one as well: "uncover at the name of Jesus"?

Aardvark01

British English (Midlands)
    It is customary for a man to remove his hat in Church.
    "Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head." [1 Corinthians 11v14]

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    This is not my field, but:

"His neighbor's bed" represents adultery with his neighbor's wife. At one time, Catholics were not supposed to eat meat on Friday. However, breaking this prohibition would not be as bad as the grave sin of of adultery.

The man being described is careful not to eat meat on Friday, but commits adultery.

"Not to uncover at the name of Jesus," would (I believe) mean not to remove his hat as a sign of respect when Jesus's name is spoken.

This man is very careful to remove his hat when Jesus' name is spoken, but he swears by the name of God, which is much worse than failing to remove your hat.

In both cases, he is making a big show of doing the less important thing, while doing something much worse.

Cross-posted with Aardvark, who gives a much better explanation for 'uncover at the name of Jesus.'

< Previous | Next >