flexible / adaptable / yielding / pliable

< Previous | Next >

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
You have to stay flexible so that you can adapt to any unexpected change.

I've never used stay yielding/pliable/adaptable in the similar context as the base sentence before, so I'm afraid that I would make any mistakes. Please confirm me if they sound all right. Thanks.

• Musical Chairs

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    "yielding" doesn't make sense

"pliable" is usually more physical like "pliable material"

"adaptable" would make sense but it would sound funny because you say "adapt" later in the sentence (it's redundant)

"flexible" would be best

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, MC.
    How about:
    1. A rubber band is pliable.
    2. We have to stay adaptable to surivive this ever-changing world.
    3. As I grow older, I become more yielding/tolerant to many things.

ARe the three samples all right, especially the third one? Thanks.

Musical Chairs

1. A rubber band is pliable. yes
    2. We have to stay adaptable to surivive this ever-changing world. I guess this is gramatically correct but I don't like it for some reason.
    3. As I grow older, I become more yielding/tolerant to many things. Use "tolerant." "Yielding" implies being subordinate to something.

Musical Chairs

No..."yielding" sounds like you're giving in, which isn't exactly what you're doing if you're "tolerant." If you're "tolerant" of something, that means you're allowing it without letting it bother you (much?) or doing anything about it. This is one of those times when I just can't explain.

Even if you did use "yielding," you would say "I yield more" and not "I become more yielding."

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    I'm tryin to make a snetence with the word "yielding" so that I know how to use it. Maybe there is one thing you never thought about--if you know how to use a word, nine out of ten times, you'll grasp the meaning of the world and won't forget the word easily.

Musical Chairs

"Yield to the cars coming behind you." (give them the right of way)
    "It yields to stronger forces." (stronger forces overcome "it")
    "Don't yield to peer pressure." (don't give in to peer pressure)

I don't really know when you'd use it as a participle though...like [participle] [noun]

< Previous | Next >