flight attendant

• Ume

Banned
    Japanese
    bibliolept,
    Thank you for the response.

They're interchangeable in casual conversation, aren't they?

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    I use "flight attendant". "Cabin attendant" sounds like another term for the same thing, but I don't recall ever hearing it before.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Having worked all my life in the airline industry, I (and my colleagues) tend to use "cabin crew" and "cockpit crew" to make sure we are specific. But "flight attendant" is the accepted term.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    "Cabin attendant" appears to be what JAL uses in English language materials. I also see it on the English-language sites for a number of airlines based in non-English speaking countries. It's certainly not wrong, but I would probably go with "flight attendant" if I were writing for a purely American audience.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I suspect that JAL uses the term to make it clear to people who do not have English as their first language that the attendant will be available to help people in the cabin even when the plane is not actually in flight. The idomatic English expression these days, however (as opposed to in former days, when people would say "stewardess" without thinking twice), is "flight attendant".

< Previous | Next >