flip-flop

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
What does flip-flop mean in this context?
When I first started researching wind noise, I thought it was simply a matter of preventing hearing loss. But then I went on an aggressive ride through gusting cross winds without earplugs, and realized halfway through the ride that I was really fatigued. It wasn’t just fighting the crosswind, I was also fatigued from the noise. And I know that fatigue lengthens reaction time. I made sure I inserted the plugs for the flip-flop.

Source: The Good Rider Part Two by David Hough

Thank you

• Packard

USA, English
    The return trip.
    That is probably correct, though I've never heard "flip flop" used to mean "return trip". It commonly does mean "reversal" but I usually hear that in reference to attitudes or methods.

From Dictionary.com:

noun
    Informal. a sudden or unexpected reversal, as of direction, belief,attitude, or policy.

Myridon

English - US
    It's used that way by truckers (and evidently motorcyclists). You must have missed out on the CB radio craze of the 1970s.
    I'll catch you on the flip-flop. (I'll see you when I come back through here on my return trip.)

Packard

USA, English
    It's used that way by truckers (and evidently motorcyclists). You must have missed out on the CB radio craze of the 1970s.
    I'll catch you on the flip-flop. (I'll see you when I come back through here on my return trip.)
    Breaker! Breaker! It's right there between "finger print" and "FM".

CB Terminology and Trucker Slang

Flip-flop Refers to a u-turn, or a return trip

< Previous | Next >