flip-flops? [footwear]

< Previous | Next >

la caixa

Poland, Polish
How do you call these shoes which normally are worn in the summer, they are flip-flops with the Japanese look :) I mean, do you have some special name apart from flip-flops?

• GEmatt

English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    By "Japanese look", these come to mind, but I don't think that is what you mean. Flip-flops, yes. I believe they're also known as thongs, in AE.

Redline2200

English - United States
    Yeah, they are called flip-flops. We do sometimes say thongs, but to be perfectly honest, the more the word "thong" gets used to mean a specific kind of women's underwear, the less we use it to mean flip-flops.
    "Thongs" would certainly be understood (I think it is something that older people tend to say), but I don't think I know too many people who actually say "thongs" over "flip-flops."

suzi br

English / England
    HI
    I'm pretty sure that no-one in the UK would use the word thong for flip-flops and it amuses us when we find the US cousins DO use it that way ...

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    "Thongs" is the standard word for such footwear in Australia, which may be whence it migrated to the US. We wouldn't use "flip-flops", although we understand that some prudish foreigners prefer the term. ;) If I said "I'm wearing thongs", it would be clearly understood that I wasn't referring to several pairs of a certain type of underwear!

I was thinking about our adherence to "thongs" just this afternoon, and how confusing and/or amusing this must be for visitors. On a city street, I passed a bar which had its dress code posted outside:

Neat casual
    No thongs
    No xxx

(I can't remember the others.)

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    "Thongs" is the standard word for such footwear in Australia, which may be whence it migrated to the US. We wouldn't use "flip-flops", although we understand that some prudish foreigners prefer the term. ;) If I said "I'm wearing thongs", it would be clearly understood that I wasn't referring to several pairs of a certain type of underwear!

I was thinking about our adherence to "thongs" just this afternoon, and how confusing and/or amusing this must be for visitors. On a city street, I passed a bar which had its dress code posted outside:

Neat casual
    No thongs
    No xxx

(I can't remember the others.)
    I worked in a night club as a crowd control engineer when I was younger and our dress code did not allow flip-flops or hats for safety reasons. We also called them thongs back then, but back then no one wore thong underwear so there was no confusion.

< Previous | Next >