flip flops or thongs

< Previous | Next >
  • Metztli

Mexico Spanish / English
    Hi!

As long as I know... unless the context is different, jeweled flip-flops are these sandals with no back-straps decorated with rhinestones.

There are some pics in Yahoo search images, but I don't know how to insert links in here... sorry! :(

Hope it helps!

Brioche

Australia English
    This type of footwear is called Jandals [trade mark] in New Zealand,
    and Thongs in Australian.

A thong in the US is a minimalist undergarment, called a g-string here.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    <<Pompous mod note:
    The topic is jewelled flipflops, not the different labels given to such footwear across the world - or the potential misunderstandings if you call to your female guests, "The party's really hotting up - leave your thongs at the door and join in." >>

fatiha

Arabic - Morocco
    good morning
    thank you very much for your help i know what means flip flops...
    fatiha

Juri

italian/Slovenia
    May I add "thong" has no double-meaning in Italy; but only as tanga or perizoma
    theflip-flops are "infradito"
    Interesting that in S.Croate they are "jàpanke" in Slovenian "japònke"that means Japan sandals.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Aaah, I get you now.

Thongs to you are flip-flops to me.

Incidentally, thong is the same as a G-string here.
    Growing up in Canada (many years ago!), we wore "thongs" on our feet. I haven't owned a pair in years and recently mentioned to a (younger) friend that I planned on buying a pair of thongs "to kick around in". After a very strange look from her, it occurred to both of us that I was referring to what she and the younger set now call "flip-flops"! Ah, the evolution of the language... :)

Victoria32

English (UK) New Zealand
    May I add "thong" has no double-meaning in Italy; but only as tanga or perizoma
    theflip-flops are "infradito"
    Interesting that in S.Croate they are "jàpanke" in Slovenian "japònke"that means Japan sandals.
    That's where the New Zealand name Jandals comes from... With or without jewels! :D

zaffy

Polish
    Am I right here?

-She was wearing flip-flops. = She was wearing thongs. (AE)
    -She was wearing a thong = She was wearing a g-string.

Last edited:

zaffy

Polish
    -She was wearing flip-flops.
    -She was wearing a g-string.

Are they now correct in BE? Does BE use 'thong' for 'g-string'?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    For me, a flip-flop has only ever been an electronic component, otherwise known as a bistable multivibrator (which is not a sex toy, by the way).
    The usual varieties are RS, JK, and D-type.

Only after moving to the UK did I begin to hear some folk use the term for what we had always called slippers.
    I never use the word thong at all, neither for slippers nor for sexy knickers. My cello wears a G-string, which, coincidentally, much like its "garment" counterpart, doesn't even try to cover up an unmentionable part of its anatomy that begins with the letter f. I hope I didn't over-step the boundaries of propriety there.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Does BE use 'thong' for 'g-string'?
    Yes. "G-string" sounds rather outdated to me, but it is not something I ever have cause to refer to.

The footwear is only ever known as flip-flops in Britain, so far as I am aware, although I suppose it is a type of sandal, but "sandals" are usually better secured.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    In Poland we call flip-flops 'Japanese ones' and have no idea why.
    They look like the Japanese footwear called ‘geta’. It’s the reason why New Zealanders call them ‘ Jandals’ (Japanese sandals).

Geta (footwear) - Wikipedia

Geta (下駄) are a form of traditional Japanese footwear that resemble clogs and flip-flops. They are a kind of sandal with an elevated wooden base held onto the foot with a fabric thong to keep the foot well above the ground.

< Previous | Next >