flirt

< Previous | Next >
  • Pidginboy

India-Local dialect
    Yes. The dictionary says 'flirt' is to engage in love without serious intentions. Is intercourse a part of flirtation?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Yes. The dictionary says 'flirt' is to engage in love without serious intentions. Is intercourse a part of flirtation?
    No, although "flirting" may lead to intercourse.:) Flirting is often being playful and intimating that the person doing the flirting is interested in you. If you were at a house party and the person across the room kept giving you little smiles and nods of the head and then came across the room and spoke to you and touched your arm while doing so and hinted that they were interested, this would be flirting. It is teasing and hints at possibilities (that mostly don't happen).

ewie

English English
    Love-making / Making love is a very old-fashioned term (>19th century) for flirting, PB.

Mr.Carruthers spent the whole evening making love to Lady Anne in the drawing-room while the rest of the party played bridge.

There is a whole world of difference between that meaning and the modern one of making love.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    In the nineteenth century and much of the twentieth century flirting was an important stage in a relationship, and referred to the thousands of more or less mild ways in which sexual interest can be expressed. An early nineteenth century cleric once asked the questions: How can a bishop marry? How can he flirt? The most he can say is 'I'll see you in the vestry after service'.

My young suggest to me that the flirting stage of a friendship has become considerably shorter these days, but, in my view, it has definitely ended when garments start to be shed.

< Previous | Next >