floating lock

Jeepster

Among the many objects Hageau studied on site in the company of an engineer Don de la Vauterie, those that impressed him most were the great locks in Muiden, a floating lock at Medemblik, a newly-built lock near Den Helder and the sluices under construction in the dunes at Katwijk

Karel Davids, Larry Stewart. The Rise and Decline of Dutch Technological Leadership: Technology, Economy and Culture in the Netherlands, 1350-1800 (History of Science and Medicine Library)

what is floating lock ??
google came out useless ((

• The Newt

English - US
    A lock is a kind of gate to control water levels on a river or canal; this one is apparently not permanently fixed to the shore. I don't know how the engineering works.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I expect it is a caisson; a hollow, watertight and airtight lock gate which is filled with water to lower it into position, so the water behind can then be drained or pumped out. When you want to remove it, the chamber behind is filled with water and then the water in the caisson is pumped out so the caisson floats free. They are often used as the gate for a dry dock but I don't know if they are used in ordinary waterways or harbour entrances.

Jeepster

A lock is a kind of gate to control water levels on a river or canal; this one is apparently not permanently fixed to the shore. I don't know how the engineering works.
    Yes, but be this a regular term to name this device, there would certianly be some trail in the internet? Could yousuppose a typo or messing up?

Jeepster

I expect it is a caisson; a hollow, watertight and airtight lock gate which is filled with water to lower it into position, so the water behind can then be drained or pumped out. When you want to remove it, the chamber behind is filled with water and then the water in the caisson is pumped out so the caisson floats free. They are often used as the gate for a dry dock but I don't know if they are used in ordinary waterways or harbour entrances.
    Could be.. But why no trace of the term??

Uncle Jack

British English
    Could be.. But why no trace of the term??
    I cannot tell. It looks like it is a direct translation of Hageau's account of the visits. There are therefore several opportunities for mistranslation: Hageau might not have known the correct term for what he saw, or he could have misinterpreted what Don de la Vauterie told him. Also, Davids and Stewart might not have understood Hageau's meaning so used a literal translation instead. If the book has references, there might be a link to the original source.

There is another possibility for "floating lock", that Hageau might have meant "floating harbour", a harbour where boats are permanently afloat because a lock or lock gate holds the water in the harbour at low tide.

sdgraham

USA English
    "Floating lock" = lock to float watercraft? Maybe?:rolleyes:

(The same way that "The Killing Fields" didn't mean that the fields were doing the killing):confused:

Jeepster

Jeepster

I cannot tell. It looks like it is a direct translation of Hageau's account of the visits. There are therefore several opportunities for mistranslation: Hageau might not have known the correct term for what he saw, or he could have misinterpreted what Don de la Vauterie told him. Also, Davids and Stewart might not have understood Hageau's meaning so used a literal translation instead. If the book has references, there might be a link to the original source.

There is another possibility for "floating lock", that Hageau might have meant "floating harbour", a harbour where boats are permanently afloat because a lock or lock gate holds the water in the harbour at low tide.
    An important note, thank you!

Andygc

British English
    I doubt very much that this is an early version of a boat lift. Medemblik is at sea level and was one of the principal harbours on what was the Zuiderzee. There are conventional locks between the current external level - the Ijsselmeer - and the canals crossing the polder.

It seems very likely that this is a mistranslation.

PS. I've looked at a chart. The inner harbour at Medemblik is locked. I think this suggestion is likely to be correct.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >