floor mat

< Previous | Next >

takiakos76

Hungarian
Hi!

What exactly does "floor mat" mean?
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mat&redirect=no) and google images/shopping I have the impression that it can mean any sort of mat that is on the floor (e.g., bathroom mats?)
But if I enter "floor mat" on Walmart's site, the results are exclusively car floor mats.

Maybe AE/BE difference?
Or it's just that Walmart doesn't happen to sell any other kinds of floor mats?

Thanks!

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I'm not sure why, but when I read the title of this thread I thought it would be about the Japanese tatami mats. :cool:

I think a mat nearly always goes on the floor, unless it's a "table-mat", so I see the "floor" in "floor mat" as pretty redundant anyway.

A floor mat is any kind of mat you put on a floor (anywhere, including cars). I have no idea why Walmart only sells car floor mats.;)
    I agree it means any kind of mat you put on a floor. I run into this problem a lot when I shop online, and think it has to do with the way each store's site is tweaked to bring up correct results of inventory in their search field. If you're looking for "bathroom mats" you might have to put in "bathroom" or "rubber." So, these are more likely computer differences, not AE/BE differences.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Indeed, there are all sorts of floor mats. Add to those already mentioned, thick cushioning mats such as those in gymnasiums and small individual mats used for performing yoga exercises.

< Previous | Next >