flowers blossom

nasridine

USA
Chinese, China
"Spring is here. Lots of flowers have blossomed."

Is it the right way to put it? Is there any other word for "blossom"?

• gomie2003

Kansas, USA - English
    I think ''bloomed'' means the same thing. When a flower is blossoming, it can be said that it is ''in bloom'', or possibly ''bloomed''

Forero

Hi, nasridine:

I wouldn't say a flower blossoms but that it blooms.

When a tree is flowering, we say the tree is blossoming. When the tree is blossoming, some of its flowers are blooming.

We also say that a child is blossoming when she/he is thriving and developing lots of new skills.

The noun bloom is used for a flower in relation to the rest of the plant.

The noun blossom refers to a bloom on a fruit tree.

nasridine

USA
    Chinese, China
    Hi, nasridine:

I wouldn't say a flower blossoms but that it blooms.

When a tree is flowering, we say the tree is blossoming. When the tree is blossoming, some of its flowers are blooming.

We also say that a child is blossoming when she/he is thriving and developing lots of new skills.

The noun bloom is used for a flower in relation to the rest of the plant.

The noun blossom refers to a bloom on a fruit tree.
    So what exactly is the difference between blossom and bloom when they are verbs refering to flowers

Plus, which one is the best:
    "Flowers are blooming"
    "Flowers are bloomed"
    "Flowers are in bloom"

gomie2003

Kansas, USA - English
    Flowers are blooming. Flowers are in bloom. Both sound good but I think "Flowers are in bloom" sounds best.

And "blossom" means that the flowers on a particular plant are blooming. That is, that particular plant is blossoming. Its flowers are blooming.

Forero

So what exactly is the difference between blossom and bloom when they are verbs refering to flowers
    As far as I know, blossom as a verb is used of fruit trees and rose bushes but not of flowers themselves. I don't say flowers "blossom" because flowers don't grow flowers on them, they are flowers.

Plus, which one is the best:

"Flowers are blooming" :tick: Flowers are opening.

"Flowers are bloomed" :cross: Bloom is never transitive.

"Flowers are in bloom" :tick: Plants have blooming flowers.
    "In bloom" is used of a plant in a certain part of its cycle.

Fruit trees and rose bushes are "in bloom" when they have flowers blooming on them. If a maximum number of the flowers on a plant are blooming, that plant is "in full bloom".

"Flowers are in bloom" may be used for "It is the time of year that flowering plants are in bloom."

< Previous | Next >