Flush the toilet after you use.

< Previous | Next >

lingkky

chinese
"Flash the toilet if you use"

For example,I see the notice in the toilet after I use it.Logically,I know I should flash the toilet after I used it.
However,the notice did not work that way gramatically.The word "use" here is in present tense and it is not suitable for the readers after use the toilet unless the readers see it before use the toilet.
Does the notice really fail to convey the meaning of"flash the toilet if you used" for the readers who read it only after use the toilet?

• owlman5

English-US
    It's "flush the toilet", lingkky.

The sign looks odd to me even when you use the right verb: Flush the toilet if you use.:confused: The normal way to write this would be: Flush the toilet after you use it. Or: Flush the toilet after use.

lingkky

chinese
    It's "flush the toilet", lingkky.

The sign looks odd to me even when you use the right verb: Flush the toilet if you use.:confused: The normal way to write this would be: Flush the toilet after you use it. Or: Flush the toilet after use.
    <---> Just change "if" to "after"in the discussion

< Side comment removed. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

lingkky

chinese
    Do you really need a sign for this? If so, I would put up one that says "Please flush" or "Please flush after use."
    If I design a notice as you said"Please flush after use"
    Will it fail to tell the users who read it to flush after use as the verb of "use"of the notice is in present tense?It is because the action will become the past for the readers who read it after they use the toilet.But the word "used" do not exist in the notice for the readers.
    So how the notice should be?
    "Flush the toilet after you use"(for someone who reads it before using it)

"Flush the toilet after you used "(for someone who reads after using it)

Last edited:

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    If I design a notice as you said"Please flush after use"
    Will it fail to tell the users who read it after use as the verb of "use"of the notice is in present tense?It is because the action will become the past for the readers who read it after they use the toilet.But the word "used" do not exist in the notice for the readers.

You are misunderstanding me. "Flush after use." Use is a noun, pronounced "yoos" not "yooz." Flush after [the] use [of the toilet].

So how the notice should be?
    "Flush the toilet after you use"(for readers before use it)

"Flush the toilet after you used "(for readers after use it)

Neither. If you are going to say "you use" you must add "it."

But really, all you need is "flush." You don't have to say "flush the toilet." What else is there to flush?

lingkky

chinese
    How the notice should be?
    "Flush after you use it"(for someone to read before they use it)
    Or
    "Flush after you used it"(for someone to read after they use it)

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Or
    Neither. Various good suggestions have been given by the native speakers in the preceding posts.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Flush the toilet after use.

The notice on the cistern in a public toilet I often use says:
    Flush me and keep me clean
    Then I won't tell anybody what I've SEEN! :D

Multi-crossposted

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Or
    I think your question is very strange. Most people know that a toilet needs to be flushed after use, and for those who don't, no sign will help.

These signs are just a reminder. If someone forgets to flush the toilet after he uses it, and then sees a sign "Flush the toilet after you use it", he's not going to decide it doesn't apply to him just because he has already used it.

Last edited:

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    Ideally, there should be no need for a sign, and sadly I imagine that those to whom the sign is addressed would simply ignore it.
    There may be a third category of person, the harmless few who need constant reminders to breathe, tie their shoes, flush the toilet etc. and for these I think it best to use the simplest and most explicit terms possible. So, "please flush the toilet after you use it" seems like the best fit.

< Previous | Next >