takiakos76

Hungarian
Hi!

Which of these sentences are correct?

1. "Flush the toilet after you!"
2. "Flush the toilet after yourself!"
3. "Flush the toilet behind you!"
4. "Flush the toilet behind yourself!"

Context: e.g., telling this to somebody who's coming out of the bathroom and didn't flush the toilet.

Thanks!

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It was an attempt at humour :) After all, we are discussing toilets and #2.

However, from a grammar perspective, in the given context, I might be inclined just to say "Flush the toilet" but "after" would be the choice of preposition, not behind, so 1 and 2 are OK too.

lingobingo

English - England
    I realised it was a joke, if that helps. But this is a subject dear to my heart. There are those in my family who consider not flushing the loo for a mere pee to be a moral duty in order to save the planet. :eek:

Myridon

English - US
    It was an attempt at humour :) After all, we are discussing toilets and #2.

However, from a grammar perspective, in the given context, I might be inclined just to say "Flush the toilet" but "after" would be the choice of preposition, not behind, so 1 and 2 are OK too.
    Humor often doesn't translate. Regardless:
    1) Flush the toilet after you (flush the toilet).
    2) Flush the toilet after (you flush) yourself. :eek:

london calling

UK English
    I realised it was a joke, if that helps. But this is a subject dear to my heart. There are those in my family who consider not flushing the loo for a mere pee to be a moral duty in order to save the planet. :eek:
    Same here. When using the loo at my parent's home in London we always ask: "Am I saving water?", meaning 'Shall I flush the toilet or does someone else have to pee as well'?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Same here. When using the loo at my parent's home in London we always ask: "Am I saving water?", meaning 'Shall I flush the toilet or does someone else have to pee as well'?
    Having lived through one of Caifornia's longest droughts, I am sensitive to the place of water conservation - especially since our water comes from a well and it slowed down production late in the summer, jst when our newly planted garden really needed it:) I think "dual flush" toilets address the problem quite well: small volume flush for #1 and a full flush for #2 :)

london calling

UK English
    I think "dual flush" toilets address the problem quite well: small volume flush for #1 and a full flush for #2 :)
    We have those.:) We still ask if we have to flush the toilet after ourselves (every little helps:)). My elderly dad has also found another solution: he goes down to the end of the garden and pees on the compost heap (it breaks down all the organic matter AND saves having to flush the loo after himself: how's that for water conservation and 'upcycling').:D

Barque

Tamil
    in the given context, I might be inclined just to say "Flush the toilet"
    I agree.
    There are those in my family who consider not flushing the loo for a mere pee to be a moral duty in order to save the planet. :eek:
    When using the loo at my parent's home in London we always ask: "Am I saving water?", meaning 'Shall I flush the toilet or does someone else have to pee as well'?
    At least those were family members. I was once at a dinner at a friend's place, and went to the loo. Another guest (no friend of mine but whom I knew slightly) yelled to me through the door that we needed to save water and not to flush if I was just peeing, since he was coming in next and would do it.:rolleyes: I flushed anyway.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    None of those options. If you really find yourself in such a situation :eek:, you're going to either ask or order. You might want to ask if they wiped their bottom too, not to mention hand-washing.

< Previous | Next >