flushed with three screwdrivers

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jacdac, Mar 13, 2018.

1. jacdac

jacdac Senior Member

Afterward, there was a lawn party at the Chatsworth home. The day was hot and humid. Thunderheads with purple bellies had formed in the west; they dragged slowly back and forth across the horizon, but seemed to come no closer. Chuck, flushed with three screwdrivers, came over with his girl friend, Patty Strachan, to show Johnny his graduation present from his parents –a new Pulsar watch.
    Source: The Dead Zone by Stephen King
    Context: Chuck graduated from high school.

As a native speaker, do you say the idiomatic term screwdriver?

screwdriver: a cocktail made from vodka and orange juice.
    flushed: His face had become hot and red as a result of his drinking alcohol.

Thank you.
  2. Archilochus Senior Member

New Mexico
    American English
    Right. He'd had three screwdrivers and his face was flushed.
  3. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    If I were naming the cocktail made with vodka and orange juice? Of course; what else would you call it?

Consider these:
    Chuck, flushed from the jar of chili peppers he had just consumed, came over with his girl friend.
    Chuck, flushed with the bottle of wine he had drunk with dinner, came over with his girl friend.
    Chuck, flushed with six dry martinis, came over with his girl friend.
  4. jacdac

jacdac Senior Member

Thank you for the explanatory sentences. As a non-native speaker, I would call it vodka and orange (and not screwdriver).
  5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I'd call it vodka and orange too, jacdac: screwdriver is in my passive vocabulary rather than my active one.:)
  6. Linkway Senior Member

British English
    That puts a spanner (sic) in the works! :)
  7. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    A "monkey wrench" on this side of the pond. :)