foam and thunder

partre

português - Brasil
"Everyone was going up in foam and thunder. We didn't know what we were doing, it was so glorious". Is it possible to understand "foam and thunder" as a kind of "bewilderment"? Or I'm completely wrong?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Can you give us a source and some context? :thumbsup: Who is saying this, why are they saying it, and what is happening?

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    One source, The Independent, there may be more.

Referring to Diana Freeland:
    I remember at one show in the early Sixties . . . Audrey Hepburn turned to me and asked why I wasn't frothing at the mouth at what I was seeing. I told her I was trying to act calm and detached because, after all, I was a member of the press. ... Everyone was going up in foam and thunder. We didn't know what we were doing, it was so glorious.'

partre

português - Brasil
    The source is the book by Mary Blume The Master of Us All, which quotes the article by Diana Vreeland mantioned by panjandrum

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The actual line comes from Pope's version of The Illiad:

"The monarch spoke; and straight a murmur rose,
    Loud as the surges when the tempest blows,
    That dash'd on broken rocks tumultuous roar,
    And foam and thunder on the stony shore"

"Everyone was going up in foam and thunder. We didn't know what we were doing, it was so glorious". -> "Everyone was under the influence of the dramatic scene/events. We didn't know what we were doing, it was so glorious".

< Previous | Next >