Focolaio della malattia

glinder

italian
Salve,
Non trovo nei dizionari la traduzione di "Focolare della malattia" nel senso di punto iniziale di propagazione di un'epidemia: "Deasise outbreak starting point" può andare?
grazie

• Mary49

Italian
    Potrebbe essere valido anche il termine "outbreak".
    Ciao Benzene,
    non credo, "focolaio" e "outbreak" sono due cose diverse...
    focolaio: traduzione in inglese - Dizionari - La Repubblica "1 med *focus, breeding ground ◊ focolaio d'infezione med focus of infection, nidus; focolaio epidemico epidemy breeding ground".
    outbreak: traduzione in italiano - Dizionari - La Repubblica "2 (di malattie) comparsa, manifestazione, diffusione, epidemia ◊ people feared an outbreak of cholera la gente temeva un'epidemia di colera".

tsoapm

English (England)
    Ciao Benzene,
    non credo, "focolaio" e "outbreak" sono due cose diverse...
    focolaio: traduzione in inglese - Dizionari - La Repubblica "1 med *focus, breeding ground ◊ focolaio d'infezione med focus of infection, nidus; focolaio epidemico epidemy breeding ground".
    outbreak: traduzione in italiano - Dizionari - La Repubblica "2 (di malattie) comparsa, manifestazione, diffusione, epidemia ◊ people feared an outbreak of cholera la gente temeva un'epidemia di colera".
    I don’t disagree that they are different, but in practice it seems like a fine distinction. The most correct translations of focolaio seem gratuitously technical compared to the contexts in which you can often see it these days.
    va bene " Tuscany is the focus of a Meningitis outbreak"?
    I think, in everyday language, you might say that Tuscany was at the centre of a Meningitis outbreak. Though Tuscany is a big ‘centre’: it’d probably sound more natural the more local you get – 29 Acacia Road was at the centre…

tsoapm

English (England)
    Ah, that’s interesting. Seems like a good call. My eyebrows tend to raise automatically at that term in Italian though: seems to have become a corporate buzzword adopted every time a certain type of Italian wants to talk about some kind of grouping...

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    How about 'hotbed'?

Also '(outbreak) point source' (this being, I think, a localized source as opposed to a spread-out source).

'Cluster' I understand as a 'cluster of cases'. In practical terms it describes the effect of the spreading of the disease from a localized point source.

tsoapm

English (England)
    How about 'hotbed'?
    A good idea, though it’s not so technical. I think it would be used more figuratively than in relation to actual diseases.
    Also '(outbreak) point source' (this being, I think, a localized source as opposed to a spread-out source).
    I’ll check that out. Seems promising, though it doesn’t ring any bells at all in terms of everyday use.
    'Cluster' I understand as a 'cluster of cases'. In practical terms it describes the effect of the spreading of the disease from a localized point source.
    :thumbsup: When I was scanning Wikipedia this morning, it suggested that ‘clusters’ are upgraded to ‘outbreaks’ at a certain point. For what it’s worth.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    If there's a single focolaio, would it be the "epicentre"? That's a word you tend to hear a lot in the context of epidemics; how technically correct it is, I don't know.

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Context is everything... it seems to me that Italian sources use 'focolaio' in Covid contexts where we use hot spot.
    A hot spot is typically a geographic area where a spike in new Covid cases is noted.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    "Focolare della malattia" nel senso di punto iniziale di propagazione di un'epidemia: "Deasise outbreak starting point" può andare?
    The context suggests the starting point to me which is why I suggested the source of the outbreak, but 'focolaio' is translated as 'hotspot', which is a different thing altogether.

Last edited:

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    glinder did say "punto iniziale di propagazione di un'epidemia". Whether he understands the meaning of 'focolaio' is a another story.

It's not context, it's a definition. And it's all pretty vague. At #5 below, he writes : "La Toscana è un focolaio di un'epidemia di meningite".

"Punto iniziale" could be, among other things, "ground zero". The place where it all starts. But at #5 he becomes more generic, 'a hot spot' or similar.

Which one is it?

I am with theartichoke here. "Epicentre". There is a clear analogy: "ll terremoto inizia in un punto (l'ipocentro) e poi la rottura si propaga...". This matches the OP very well: "nel senso di punto iniziale di propagazione di un'epidemia".

Last edited: