focus, lock, limit the price.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I'd like to know about these words "focus, lock and limit", I am wondering if it will work in this situation:

My grandpa asked me to help him to buy a cellphone, and he told me the money he would like to spend is around 800.

Yesterday I went to the cellphone market and I found that if I didn't tell the salesperson how much I wanted to use to buy a cellphone, the saleperson would recommend me the expensive kind rather than the kind that I want.

So I am wondering if I can say:

I must focus/lock/limit the price of the cellphone so that the salesperson won't cheat me.

Personally I don't think these three are good, can anyone help?

Thanks a lot

• Copyright

American English
    I can help by agreeing that none of the three is good. And the problem with finding a word is that the logic of the sentence is likely wrong: you don't lock any sort of price on a cellphone purchase. You walk into a store, bargain for the lowest price (if allowed), and pay it. You would only lock in a price on something for the future: I locked in the price of Gummi Bears for the next six months.

suzi br

English / England
    I would say something like I am working to a tight budget so don't show me anything expensive.

You could use limit, by saying: I have an upper price limit.

The trouble with telling sales people your budget is they offer you that price!

suzi br

English / England
    Oh .. I read it again, and think I misunderstood .... if you are talking about this outside the shop, then I don't see that fixing your price and not being cheated can work in the same sentence, they are quite independant. Whatever your budget you can still be over-charged!

Silver

I can help by agreeing that none of the three is good. And the problem with finding a word is that the logic of the sentence is likely wrong: you don't lock any sort of price on a cellphone purchase. You walk into a store, bargain for the lowest price (if allowed), and pay it. You would only lock in a price on something for the future: I locked in the price of Gummi Bears for the next six months.
    You are right, Copy.

I think I need to clarify.

Here I mean there is only one acceptable price choice for me, that is under or amount to 800 yuan.

So I have to "lock,limit,focus", here probably means "control" that I won't spend more than 800 yuan or I will be cheated. Why? Because if you don't have an ideal cellphone, they will recommend you those expensive ones.

More clearer?

Copyright

American English
    There is still nothing about cheating here -- trying to sell you a more expensive item is not cheating, it's simply selling. Perhaps a more expensive item has features that would benefit you and you won't know unless they tell you.

In any case: You tell them your budget. Why? So they won't try to sell you something more expensive.

Would you like to try another sentence?

Silver

Here is a new try after reading your comments:

I must tell the salesperson my budget so that they won't sell me expensive cellphone.

Is it better?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I disagree somewhat. If you tell the person your budget ("I cannot spend more than 800 X" [what is the unit of currency?]), then the salesperson will focus only on phones in the upper part of that range. As Copyright says, that's not cheating; that's selling, and that's what salespeople do. I think you should keep that figure of 800 X to yourself, and the way to phrase it is, "Please show me some low- to medium-priced models." Then if you are shown one for 850 X, you can say, "I can't pay that much", or if 600 X, you can say "if you have one of better quality, I can afford to pay a little more".

< Previous | Next >