Fold away/up/down

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello,
"During the day the bed can be folded away"., "If you don't need the table, you can fold it up"., "The table can be folded flat for more convenient storage". How do the prepositions change the meaning? In such contexts, what is the meaning of "fold away", or "fold up/down"? I have been trying to figure it out, but it is not easy for me.

Thank you

• Chris K

English / US
    All of these prepositions refer to something about the physical state of the table after it is folded:

"folded away" = folded in such a manner that is "away" from the area it would normally occupy
    "folded up" = folded so that the leaves or legs of the table are collapsed and tucked up underneath the body of the table
    "folded flat" = folded so that the table is flat and the legs are not sticking out

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    Thank you for the perfecr explanation, Chris :). In the table context "fold up" and "fold flat" look similar, don't they? Can I fold away a bed sofa?
    What about fold down? I can't get the meaning :).
    Merry Christmas, Chris ;)

Chris K

English / US
    Thank you for the perfecr explanation, Chris :). In the table context "fold up" and "fold flat" look similar, don't they? Can I fold away a bed sofa?
    What about fold down? I can't get the meaning :).
    Merry Christmas, Chris ;)
    If you "fold up" a folding table, it will be flat when you finish, so you're also "folding it flat" (although that's a less common expression).

If the table has leaves that can fold, then you can "fold down" one or more of the leaves; that is, you release whatever it is that's holding them up so that they drop down.

Tracer

American English
    If the table has leaves that can fold, then you can "fold down" one or more of the leaves; that is, you release whatever it is that's holding them up so that they drop down.
    Chris K is correct here. I might add that in this case (leaves folded down), means that the table is still standing and can be used. Only the "leaves" (the sides) are folded down, not the center area.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    So, you just fold down the leaves. You can still use the table :). Sounds good ;. When we talk about sofa beds, do you fold them away, or you put them away? I think someone might say "fold it back into a sofa".

Tracer

American English
    Speaking about sofa beds, I would say:

"Fold the bed up and put it away".

The opposite of this would be:

"Pull out the bed and open it up".

< Previous | Next >