follow someone else's/another one's dreams

Alpha0ne

England English/Spanish
To the honourable members of this forum: Can you say? "to follow another one's dreams? (Referring to someone else) or is it, to follow someone else's dreams?. I have a feeling it will not be the academically correct, but on the other hand I am convinced that I have heard it used on some occasion. (North West England) Could it be used as "Slang"? I think I heard it used with "footsteps" "To follow in another one's footsteps"
Would be most grateful if your could dissipate my doubt.
Thanks in advance for your time and your invaluable help.
:)

• Sprachliebhaber

USA English
    I think it we usually say follow a dream instead of follow dreams; rather than "another one's dream" I would say "follow another's dream", but "someone else's dream" is certainly common.

Alpha0ne

England English/Spanish
    I think it we usually say follow a dream instead of follow dreams; rather than "another one's dream" I would say "follow another's dream", but "someone else's dream" is certainly common.
    I know it sounds odd, but when you speak English in a non academic environment, you sometimes end up with all sorts of weird combinations. I was just wanting to know if anyone out there had ever heard it used in actual conversation.
    Thanks for your answer.

< Previous | Next >