Follow the outline below

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
"Follow the outline below"
I undertand that "follow" means "go behind someone or something".
But how can I understand it in this case?
Thanks for help.

• mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, bibliolept.
    Thank you very much.
    Does it mean that you should do exactly as the outline/the map/the recipe ... shows you?

Harry Batt

USA English
    A university subject is often so broad that its instruction often includes lecture, discussions, text book, supplemental reading and some quizs; all followed by an exam. In order to limit the student to a prescribed study of the subject the professor often furnishes an outline of the course so that the student has a way of measuring the way he ought to study. As pointed out by biblio the outline would be an instructive way of guiding the student. For example, the history instructor can focus the students' attention on the economic features of the Great Depression with his outline; saving the student a lot of time and effort by not including the social features.

Bookworm123

USA English
    A university subject is often so broad that its instruction often includes lectures, discussions, textbooks, supplemental reading and some quizzes; all followed by an exam. In order to limit the student to a prescribed study of the subject, the professor often furnishes (provides works better) an outline of the course so that the student has a way of measuring the way he ought to study. As pointed out by biblio, the outline would be an instructive way of guiding the student. For example, the history instructor can focus the students' attention on the economic features of the Great Depression with his outline; saving the student a lot of time and effort by not including the social features.

Sorry for being such a perfectionist! We're all here to learn!

Harry Batt

USA English
    Hello Worm. Sorry for being such a [perfectionist!] snob. I can also furnish a few substitutions where they do the most good. We're all here to learn! If we're here to learn lets take a moment to discuss that lecture in the singular is a style of instruction. That's the way I wrote it and if perfection is adding an s to pluralize it, you don't know perfection from a hole in the ground. Learn to convey what I think you mean. Provides better? I think you meant that your taste would be provides and not furnishes. How about we scrub both words and get down to plain English and have the instructor "give" an outline.
    I hate to ask you this but do you have anything constructive to add to the question in the thread?

Bookworm123

USA English
    If you read my post I said "provides works better". Please make sure that you read what I had corrected before you snap back at me. Thanks. The main reason I corrected your writing was because you had spelled quizzes like this: "quizs". Unfortunately, I believe that correct spelling is a requirement here--check the rules yourself. I'm also sorry if you orginially meant lecture, and not the plural "lectures". However, if we are here to teach and help those not native to English, I suggest we can at least give them responses with correctly spelled words.

Harry Batt

USA English
    Worm, I hold the WRC record for typos. Now if you are here for whatever reason it is much more effective if you take a gander at a couple rules. First, the moderators frown on using bold type and capital letters to sound out. Second, the WRC provides private messages to handle discrepancies and any other issues between subscribers. If you had a complaint about my post the method was available.

< Previous | Next >