Follow your bliss

< Previous | Next >
  • ‘Follow your bliss and doors will open where you didn’t Know they were going to be’ ,Campbell J.
    Should we connect this quote with these (also Campbell's):
    ‘Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be.’
    ‘ To find your own way is to follow your bliss’
    so as to seek for a term that reflects the meaning of ‘bliss’ in his thought?
    My attempt to translate the quote would be: Ακολούθησε το δικό σου δρόμο για την ευτυχία, something like, ‘follow your own way to happiness’, or αναζήτησε το δικό σου δρόμο για την ευτυχία, ‘ seek for your own way to happiness ‘
    Of course these translations may mislead from the real meaning of the quote, depending on how someone defines happiness, since Campbell’s philosophy has sanskrit origins , thus happiness is not a hedonistic or a self-serving matter. It may be seen in this context, as a spiritual internal journey to discover what has always been there and waits for me to discover.
    Another member of the forum could help with a better term. Maybe the word ‘eudaimonia’ in the sense that Aristotle used it is closer to ‘bliss’, although I doubt if Aristotle had in mind exclusively internal journeys.

Last edited:

k2011

English-United States
    Thanks that is very helpful!

How then would you translate just the single word bliss?

Well, k2011, ευτυχία in my opinion, although it means happiness and i´m not sure if "bliss" can be restricted to this meaning. That´s why i expect other opinions to come. We´ll wait and the secrets of the word are going to be revealed!

Uranya

Greek
    Επειδή μου προέκυψε η ίδια ακριβώς έκφραση, που αποδίδεται στον Τζόζεφ Κάμπελ, βλέπω σε μια γρήγορη έρευνα στο διαδίκτυο ότι έχει αποδοθεί ως "Ακολούθησε τις ευλογίες σου". Το δουλεύω ακόμα, μέχρι στιγμής προσωπικά δεν συμφωνώ με αυτή την απόδοση.

< Previous | Next >