font alors cohabiter

[Marc]

French France
Hello,
That one I worry about :

The used models make then coexist a plastic threshold function and a viscoplastic potential.
which in french was :
Les modèles utilisés font alors cohabiter une fonction seuil plastique et un potentiel viscoplastique.

• Agnès E.

France, French
    Ce serait le verbe (qui remplacerait make coexist).
    Mais vraiment, vraiment, attendez l'opinion d'anglophones, hein ! :eek:

alisonp

English - UK
    What about 'combine', if I've understood the French correctly? (I think you're letting the 'alors' in the middle confuse your thinking - the French is really 'font cohabiter', so only one verb phrase is necessary rather than the two you've used).

Aupick

UK, English
    Agnès E. said:
    Ce serait le verbe (qui remplacerait make coexist).
    Mais vraiment, vraiment, attendez l'opinion d'anglophones, hein ! :eek:
    J'approuve ! La seule modification serait de dire "at the same time".

EDIT: I also like "combine".

giannid

USA English
    Les modèles utilisés font alors cohabiter une fonction seuil plastique et un potentiel viscoplastique.

The models used allow for both a plastic threshold function and a possible viscoplastic one.

I'm not sure if I understood the meaning of the sentence, but you should put used after the word models .

models used = modèles utilsés
    used models = modèles de seconde main.

Also potentiel usually translates as possible.

[Marc]

French France
    giannid : you have obviously understood much more than I :) Thanks alot !! Here potentiel stands for a physical entity which, I think, is a potential in english... hope so, at least.

giannid

USA English
    Yes, I made a mistake. I confused eventuel with potentiel.

eventuel = possible

So for potentiel, do you mean powerful?

alisonp

English - UK
    I'm not sure if I understood the meaning of the sentence, but you should put used after the word models .

models used = modèles utilsés
    used models = modèles de seconde main.
    (Is there a "hits self on forehead for being so stupid" smiley on these boards? :D). You're quite right: I got so caught up on one part of the text that I forgot to look at the whole thing.

[Marc];2096457 said:
    Here potentiel stands for a physical entity which, I think, is a potential in english... hope so, at least.
    It is indeed.

[Marc]

French France
    alisonp : thanks again. You are forgiven as I did not ask for hlp on that part, although, obviously I needed some...

giannid

USA English
    How about then:

The models used allow for both a plastic threshold function as well as a viscoplastic potential.

< Previous | Next >