fonte di sussistenza

francescagram

Italian
Good evening everyone!

I'm writing my final thesis about sustainability, and precisely a paragraph where I want to explain that the topic's origin can be traced back to Plato and Pliny the Elder, who discussed the side-effects on the environment of the human acivities which at the time was the basic "fonti di sussistenza". Does the translation "sources of livelihood" suit this case?

I know I can say it in many other ways, but as I didn't find it in dictionaries nor online in general, I thought to open a thread and discuss it with you all.

Let me know if you have any suggestion :)
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
  • giovannino

Italian
    Why do you say you didn’t find anything on Google? I got lots of results for “source of livelihood “. I think it’s the right translation for “fonti di sussistenza “.

Last edited:

francescagram

Italian
    Why do you say you didn’t find anything on Google? I got lots of results for “source of livelihood “. I think it’s the right transaction for “fonti di sussistenza “.
    Thank you very much for answering!
    I don't know why, but I didn't manage to find it last night, then I realized I had filters activated in my Google search. Anyway, doesn't it sound a little forced to you?
    I hope a native speaker could tell me something more about this issue.

Last edited:

giovannino

Italian
    I typed “transaction” instead of “translation”:(
    I am sure we’ll hear from native speakers later and they will be able to tell you whether “sources of livelihood” sounds right in your context. If you post the actual sentence you are translating that will help them give you the right advice.

francescagram

Italian
    I typed “transaction” instead of “translation”:(
    I am sure we’ll hear from native speakers later and they will be able to tell you whether “sources of livelihood” sounds right in your context. If you post the actual sentence you are translating that will help them give you the right advice.
    No worries, I perfectly got what you meant :)
    I'm not translating a sentence, I'm writing it on my own. Btw, the sentence is the following: "The first footprints of sustainability-related topics can be found in classical authors such as Plato (1st century BC) and Pliny the Elder (1st century AD), who reported in their writings the side-effects on the environment of different human activities which were the basic sources of livelihood at that time, like farming, logging, and mining".

Do you think it can suit the sentence context?

rrose17

Canada, English
    Not sure. Perhaps this is the term that is used in this context but it sounds forced to me. A few other things, usually the present tense would be used, I wouldn’t say side-effects but impact, and I’d say work rather than writings. Maybe something like
    …who discuss in their work(s) the environmental impact of human activity, such as… which formed the bases of most people’s livelihoods.
    Note that without the original Italian this might be better suited for the English Only forum.;)

francescagram

Italian
    Didn't Plato live between the 5th and the 4th century BC?
    I'll be checking it later, but it's a quotation from a resource - I haven't proofread it yet, but thanks for your observation! :)

Not sure. Perhaps this is the term that is used in this context but it sounds forced to me. A few other things, usually the present tense would be used, I wouldn’t say side-effects but impact, and I’d say work rather than writings. Maybe something like
    …who discuss in their work(s) the environmental impact of human activity, such as… which formed the bases of most people’s livelihoods.

Note that without the original Italian this might be better suited for the English Only forum.;)
    I really appreciate your suggestion, thank you for answering :) I'll be writing in the English Only forum next time! :)