fonts and silver napkin rings

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
From Movie <The Hippopotamus>,
Ted - I maybe unreliable when it comes to fonts and silver napkin rings, but when I saw him suffering a catastrophic sex disaster, I did feel a twinge of the old esprit de corpe...

Ted is talking about his Godson David, who was bit by Clara when she gave him oral sex.
I don't understand what "fonts and silver napkin rings" means here, what do them have to do with sex?
Thank you.

• Sparky Malarky

English - US
    A font is a basin used in baptism. Ted would have been present at his godson's baptism. It is customary for a godparent to give his godchild a gift, and gifts of silver are common, though a silver teething ring would be a more common gift for an infant than a silver napkin ring. But maybe Ted doesn't know the difference.

In any case, Ted is saying he might not have been a very good godfather, but he felt bad when David, er, got hurt.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    A font is a basin used in baptism. Ted whould have been present at his godson's baptism. It is customary for a godparent to give his godchild a gift, and gifts of silver are common, though a silver teething ring would be a more common gift for an infant than a silver napkin ring. But maybe Ted doesn't know the difference.

In any case, Ted is saying he might not have been a very good godfather, but he felt bad when David, er, got hurt.
    Good grief. Brilliant ...

Did you know this because you know the film, or is it just obvious to certain people? Not me, I had not a clue what this phrasing meant. I would never think of font as anything other than typefaces, for my first false start. Then I wondered whether cock-rings were the other bit of the story! :D

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Never saw the movie. I was really just guessing, but the gist of "I don't know anything about church ceremonies and fancy gifts" seems to fit the context that you gave. This is why we always say that context is so important! I never would have guessed that without your important clue that David was Ted's godson.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I may be unreliable when it comes to fonts and silver napkin rings,
    It almost sounds like he's referring to something that happened earlier in the story. Maybe some failure of his. Do you remember anything like that?

"Maybe" should be two words in your excerpt.

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
    It almost sounds like he's referring to something that happened earlier in the story. Maybe some failure of his. Do you remember anything like that?

"Maybe" should be two words in your excerpt.
    Sorry, I don't remember anything like that. He didn't do his godfather job, does this count as a failure?:confused:

< Previous | Next >