food particles in between teeth

Discussion in 'English Only' started by epistolario, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. epistolario

    epistolario Senior Member

    How do you call food particles that get stuck in between teeth when you eat? These are usually meat and sometimes, vegetable leaves or stems.
  2. MissFit

    MissFit Senior Member

    I can't think of a specific word for it. I would probably just call it a bit of whatever, or something if I didn't know exactly what it was.
    "You've got a bit of spinach stuck between your teeth"
    "There's a bit of meat stuck in your teeth."
    "He's got something stuck between his teeth. Do you thing we should tell him?" :)
  3. epistolario

    epistolario Senior Member

    Thanks, MissFit. How about in the other regions of the US and other English-speaking countries?
  4. We say the same in the UK.

    Note that your question should begin 'WHAT do you call....'

  5. Nymeria Senior Member

    English - Barbadian/British/educated in US universities blend
    ffrancis, please understand that a 'bit' just means a small amount of something and is in no way synonymous with food stuck between teeth. :)

    People may also have a 'bit' of smile forming around the eyes...

    I would just say that the person has "some food stuck between their teeth" or I would just start randomly distributing toothbrushes. :) Mission accomplished either way.

Share This Page