...food!

< Previous | Next >

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
Hi,
I've got a food question. Well ... let's have a sentence first:
"Oh, and he loved his food."
And here's my question: could this sentence mean that he actually loved to eat? Obviously it means that he loved food, but I'm a bit puzzled by this "his", so I was just wondering if it could be interpreted otherwise. And there is basically no context because the character talking about "him (who loved his food)" is just listing some of his qualities, describing him as a personality.
I'd appreciate any ideas that popped into your heads. Thanx! ;)

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Without context, I am guessing that the meaning is along these lines:

"Oh, by the way, as an afterthought, he really liked to eat a lot." There may be an implication of either gluttony or obesity or both, but what's clear is that he very much liked to eat.

GenJen54

USA - English
    Yes, in this "context" (which really isn't), it absolutely means he loves to eat. In AE, at least, one can use this expression in many ways. American English in particular has an over-infatuation with the word "love."

Often, when you hear this particular construction, it is to describe someone who has recently passed away, so it is in the past tense, as in the sentence you provided.

Imagine a few old pokes sitting around and talking after another friend's funeral:

Friend One: Ole Jim Bob sure loved his football.
    Friend Two: And his huntin'. Best damn shot this side of Erath County.
    Friend Three: Oh, and he loved his food. I never see'd a man put down as much pork back and corn bread as that man could. Right good eater, he was.

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    Hello, cuchuflete & GenJen54!

Thanx, you were so quick! I was just about to log out and go to sleep (it's 3 am down here) when I saw your answers. Thank you both for your explanations! (I knew that "his" was a bit suspicious!) :)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Detective: What can you tell us about the deceased?
    Witness: Well, he was about six feet tall, had an earing on the left side, was cross-eyed, pigeon-toed, smelled like garlic and old cheese, wore three piece suites that never seemed to fit. He was a skinny fellow except for his protuding belly. And he sure did like his cockroach races.

Sleep well Stargazer.

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    cuchuflete said:
    Witness: Well, he was about six feet tall, had an earing on the left side, was cross-eyed, pigeon-toed, smelled like garlic and old cheese, wore three piece suites that never seemed to fit. He was a skinny fellow except for his protuding belly. And he sure did like his cockroach races.

Sleep well Stargazer.
    :D Thanks!

The sentence refers to Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio, an Italian painter. Apart from being one of the greatest Renaissance painters, he was quite a character. He also had a fierce temper. Oh, those artists ... But you might have already known all that. ;)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    He had a fierce temper, was tallish, sang off key, was known for erratic behaviour, killed a young man in a duel, and dearly loved his canvases with all the daubs of paint on them.

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    cuchuflete said:
    He had a fierce temper, was tallish, sang off key, was known for erratic behaviour, killed a young man in a duel, and dearly loved his canvases with all the daubs of paint on them.
    Yea, I thought you'd already known that ... :D

cuchuflete said:
    Not quite sure how that would work....;):D:eek::cool::p

< Previous | Next >