Foot finger or toe"

ode1299

Turkish
Dear members,
I would like to ask whether there is any expression like "foot finger" for the word "toe".

This is text is taken from a student's book in Turkey. I couldn'T find any reference to explain this misusage.

Hi Tracey,
[...] For example, I broke my left foot finger
while climbing a small mountain in Switzerland. It really hurt and no one was there to give
me a hand. [...] They gave me a bed and took care of me for two days.
When my finger was OK, I kept walking in the green mountains.[...]

Note: Excessive quotation deleted by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Jim2996

American English
    This is the first time I've seen foot finger. It's completely understandable. If a well-known author did this I would call it literary. My guess is that Turkish has one word that covers both hands and feet (there is something that you have 20 of) and to distinguish fingers from toes you use an adjective. Is he just too literally following Turkish?

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hullo, Jim.

Well, the case reminds me of a (literary?) word formation: "handshoe" for "glove". After all the Germans do it all the time. :)

GS

ode1299

Turkish
    This is the first time I've seen foot finger. It's completely understandable. If a well-known author did this I would call it literary. My guess is that Turkish has one word that covers both hands and feet (there is something that you have 20 of) and to distinguish fingers from toes you use an adjective. Is he just too literally following Turkish?
    Thank you for your answer. Yes, your guess is right. [Non-English discussion removed.]

The course book which has this article includes many misusages like this, and I am thinking about informing the authorities about it.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Hi, ode, and welcome to the forums!

You are right to question the term. Although it is completely understandable to English speakers, it is not a term that we use.

< Previous | Next >