Footage, footprint, trace are everywhere

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

In my spare time I choose to be a tutor, so I spread around my name card, which includes my cellphone number and some relevant information about employing a tutor.

If I want to say I put my name card everywhere, can I say it poetically like:

My footage is everywhere.
My footprint is everywhere.
My trace is everywhere.

Thanks

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    In my spare time I choose to be a tutor, so I spread around my name card, which includes my cellphone number and some relevant information about employing a tutor.

If I want to say I put my name card everywhere, can I say it poetically like:

My footage is everywhere.
    My footprint is everywhere.
    My trace is everywhere.
    First of all: In English--at least in US English--we would call your card not a "name card" but a business card.

The first of your proposed expressions wouldn't work in English, because footage has another, different meaning: a quantity of film that has been shot for a movie. A filmmaker might say, "I'll show you the footage from yesterday"--meaning, the film that was shot the day before. If you happen to shoot movies and they are being shown in many places, then you might say, "My footage is everywhere."

The second, footprint? Not bad. Unusual, but I'd say it's acceptable.

The third doesn't work because trace would more usually be applied to the tracking of an animal by its leavings along a path in the woods--not a very good image when speaking of a human!

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hi, PA

Thanks a lot for your concise, and extremely useful, answer. I really learn a lot, by the way, would you like to recommend a word to make it more poetic? Forgive my curiosity to this language.

< Previous | Next >