Footage / Sequence (Cinema, television...)

< Previous | Next >

Nicodi2

Français
Hi,

I am completely lost when having to choose between one of those two terms.
Could I replace footage by sequence in the below sentences?

-"Human civilization now generates massive quantities of video footage simply as a by-product of its daily functioning, much as some industrial processes generate toxic slurry." Time

- "I shot Marlon Brando a couple of weeks and then he left; everything else was shot around that footage" F.Coppola.

Thanks for advising!

Nico

• cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Hi Nico,

A sequence is a single scene or section of the filming.

Footage is an amount of filmed material. It may consist of many sequences. The word is related to the length, the feet, the "footage" of physical film used in the process of filming.

As they have different meanings, footage cannot be replaced by sequence in the sentences you have provided. In the first sentence it wouldn't really work ("massive quantities of video sequence" does not make sense, partly because "footage" is uncountable and "sequence" is not) while "everything else was shot around that sequence" would make sense if Coppola only filmed one scene/sequence with Brando before he left. We are not told that; he shot footage which probably consisted of many scenes/sequences.

I hope that makes sense!

Nicodi2

Français
    Hi Nico,

A sequence is a single scene or section of the filming.

Footage is an amount of filmed material. It may consist of many sequences. The word is related to the length, the feet, the "footage" of physical film used in the process of filming.

As they have different meanings, footage cannot be replaced by sequence in the sentences you have provided. In the first sentence it wouldn't really work ("massive quantities of video sequence" does not make sense, partly because "footage" is uncountable and "sequence" is not) while "everything else was shot around that sequence" would make sense if Coppola only filmed one scene/sequence with Brando before he left. We are not told that; he shot footage which probably consisted of many scenes/sequences.

I hope that makes sense!
    It's cristal clear now cycloneviv, thanks ;)
    I guess footage is a pretty common word isn't it?

< Previous | Next >