Football: an opposite-directed (?) goal

Scyl_la

Good morning,

I am trying to find a translation for a football term. What do you call it when someone tries to score a goal by shooting at the place which the goalkeeper has just left? For example, they pretend to shoot to the left - the goalkeeper jumps to the left - and they shoot to the right.
In Russian we have a name for the movement itself ("забивать в противоход", "мяч в противоход") which literally means "to shoot in the opposite direction", "an opposite-directed goal". It doesn't sound good in English and I can't find a good equivalent.
The sentence I'm trying to fit it in sounds like: [The keeper] was renowned for saving many [*opposite-directed] goals.

Thank you!

• Barque

Tamil
    You have asked two different questions here. The first refers to the striker's action while the second refers to the goalkeeper's action. Which one are you looking for?
    What do you call it when someone tries to score a goal by shooting at the place which the goalkeeper has just left? For example, they pretend to shoot to the left - the goalkeeper jumps to the left - and they shoot to the right.
    The sentence I'm trying to fit it in sounds like: [The keeper] was renowned for saving many [*opposite-directed] goals.

Scyl_la

You have asked two different questions here. The first refers to the striker's action while the second refers to the goalkeeper's action. Which one are you looking for?
    Ideally I'm looking for a word that refers to the goal itself. An adjective or something similar that would mean that the goal was directed "the wrong way" by the striker.

Szkot

UK English
    You save a shot or prevent a goal. Goals are the ones you don't save :).

You might say the goalkeeper was famous for his 'miraculous saves' which would often include cases where he was able to change direction quickly.

< Previous | Next >