Football camp: is it a football field?

marcogaiotto

Italian
Football camp: is it a football field?

The phrase comes from a dialogue between two boys, one of whom is at the Manchester United stadium.
The other asks the other, "What about the football camp?"

I'm wondering if "football camp" is the field where they play or another structure... Thanks a lot in advance!

• marcogaiotto

Italian
    One asks, " What about the football camp? Are you in a hotel? Are you in a hotel?"
    The other answers, "No, I'm not. I've got a flat with other three boys".

What would you suggest now? Thanks a lot once again!

sound shift

English - England
    I'm sure they're talking about a training camp, somewhere away from the club and its training facilities. That's why they're talking about accommodation.

"Football camp" does not mean "football pitch/field".

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The English word 'camp' never* means "field", as the Romance word derived from campus do. It is of course the same word historically, but a long time back.

* and of course I should really say 'virtually never' - I can't think of any

kentix

English - U.S.
    In the U.S. a camp is somewhere you go to get intensive training and practice in a particular skill, along with other people like you. You spend a certain amount of time living there and learning and practicing with others. Usually it's school age children but not always. You can attend baseball camp, football camp, soccer camp, band camp (for the marching band learning to march and play their instruments together), and even computer camp (learning and using computers). Usually it's in the summer when school is out.

But even professional football teams have "training camp" before the season starts where players get ready and the coaches evaluate them and decide who to keep on the team for the season.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The noun "camp", in this context has moved towards "a location at which training/study takes place." It was originally military and associated with living in tents.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, I was thinking I should have made that clear. In this use, camp is not a physical place it's an "event", equivalent to a multi-day meeting/training.

A high school level football camp might take place on a college campus during the summer, when the athletic facilties are not in use. A band camp might take place anywhere there are sleeping and dining facilities and a big field to march in.

< Previous | Next >