football chant (offensive content)

billy beckham

ireland
Can some please translate the following,

"Se veniamo di li se veniamo di li vi facciamo un culo cosi"

It was sent by a bragging Milan supporter last night!!

• Silvia

Italian
    billy beckham,

welcome to the WR Forums.

The phrase you quoted has an offensive content and supports violence. This is not something we welcome in WR.

Also, I edited the title of your post, so that people know what we're talking about (rule # 4)

You can find the rules here.

piegus

Poland
    I agree with mirandolina. How else are people to understand an offensive phrase in a foreign language and react appropriately? This is not something they teach at language courses... ;)

Silvia

Italian
    mirandolina said:
    He only asked for a translation, don't get your knickers in a twist.....
    mirandolina, please, reread my previous post and if you disagree with anything I typed contact me via PM or contact the Administrator.

Silvia

Italian
    This is not a reaction, this is what we do as moderators, among other things... we point out offensive content.

mirandolina

Scotland - English
    danalto said:
    Now, I would like to have this translated into Italian. :D
    I thought somebody'd appreciate it! It was a bit provocative of me to use it, I admit..... it means "don't get so excited about a little thing".

lsp

NY
    US, English
    silviap said:
    mirandolina, please, reread my previous post and if you disagree with anything I typed contact me via PM or contact the Administrator.
    I don't think it solves much to restrict these comments to PMs when it's apparent that the collective membership has strong feelings.

I do not find these comments offensive, or supportive of violence and don't understand how that misinterpretation is possible. Everything said here is heard on prime time TV and in school yards. Lament about that comment on our times in the culture forum :), but linguistically I think we can and should provide translation.

gaer

US-English
    Just remember, those of you who are objecting, that most of us don't know the original subject.

I don't like censorship. I hate it. But the job of moderator is not easy either. I've been on both sides. :)

walnut

Italy - Italian
    Hi Silvia,

I don't feel offended, and appreciated the polite way the request was made. I want to learn this part of language as well, and I want to help who asks for it in an appropriate way. In other sections of the forum this kind of requests are normally and frequently discussed.

When there is a problem like this, I think we could talk in a public way of the of matter and not via PM, as it concerns us all.

Ciao :) Walnut

lsp

NY
    US, English
    gaer said:
    Just remember, those of you who are objecting, that most of us don't know the original subject.

I don't like censorship. I hate it. But the job of moderator is not easy either. I've been on both sides. :)
    Gaer, from what I can tell, nothing has been changed or deleted from post#1, so if you don't see anything offensive, you're not offended :)

gaer

US-English
    lsp said:
    Gaer, from what I can tell, nothing has been changed or deleted from post#1, so if you don't see anything offensive, you're not offended :)
    First of all, very little offends me except rudeness, and I don't associate that with "bad language". I want to make that clear. If anything, I have to "work very hard to control my own language". :)

I work with kids. My language has to be clean enough to please a Baptist preacher, because at any moment I could literally lose my job for using "inappropriate language".

But some of the older kids I teach slip up and say some fairly "colorful things", and my only comment is: "If you use it, I get to use it too." <serious>

The problem is that we have very conservative people in the US who get more upset over a bit of nudity or a couple swear words than graphic violence. It actually makes me very angry that this prudish US standard has a tendency to dominate things.

But this is what I read:
    silviap said:
    Also, I edited the title of your post, so that people know what we're talking about (rule # 4)

You can find the rules here.
    So I assumed it was the SUBJECT that was changed, and if you think about it, that's where the biggest problem might occur. If a thread has a very nuetral, inoffensive title, all sorts of things probably can be discussed, within reason, and few would notice.

That was my interpretation of what happend. I assumed the title was what was changed, and if I were a moderator here, I might do the same thing, to avoid controversy.

I've been in the position of moderator before. It's NOT an easy job, and that was my only point. Other than that, I was interested in the thread!

All the best to everyone here…

Gaer

lsp

NY
    US, English
    gaer said:
    ...The problem is that we have very conservative people in the US ... It actually makes me very angry that this prudish US standard has a tendency to dominate things.
    Not just US, apparently :)
    gaer said:
    So I assumed it was the SUBJECT that was changed...
    I thought so, that's what I wanted to tell you :) The guts of the offensive content was maintained in the first post.
    I've been in the position of moderator before. It's NOT an easy job, and that was my only point.
    Granted. Me, too, by the way.

gaer said:
    Other than that, I was interested in the thread!
    Me, too!

Thanks for helping to clarify, gaer. Strong feelings seem to be emerging, so I'm glad for you helping us understand your points!

gaer

US-English
    lsp said:
    Not just US, apparently :)
    I thought so, that's what I wanted to tell you :) The guts of the offensive content was maintained in the first post.
    Granted. Me, too, by the way.

Me, too!

Thanks for helping to clarify, gaer. Strong feelings seem to be emerging, so I'm glad for you helping us understand your points!
    It's easy to start flames, so hard to put them out. :)

I would reply in more depth, but I'm feeling really exhausted tonight. :(

Gaer

belén

Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    I believe Silvia's intention in the first place was to remind us that the words that were asked for translation are very rude and offensive in Italian. It was only an alert comment, not a censorship comment.

Thanks a lot for your understanding,
    Belén

lsp

NY
    US, English
    belen said:
    I believe Silvia's intention in the first place was to remind us that the words that were asked for translation are very rude and offensive in Italian. It was only an alert comment, not a censorship comment.

Thanks a lot for your understanding,
    Belén
    Thank you, belen. I think we, I at least, understand that much. You should be able to see by each individual's post that there is some question about her assessment, not her censorship. You see?

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    After a conversation with SilviaP, I understand what she meant in her first message.

By saying, "This is not something we welcome in WR", she was talking about violence, not the question itself. The question itself is fine and legitimate.

Instead she meant that the sentiments behind the quote are not appropriate here, being a taunt from hooligans. The last thing we need here is for rival groups of hooligans coming to WR to exchange insults...

We also decided to change the title again to “football chant”, and not jingle. Jingle makes it sound like a fun song! And most people in this world call soccer football.

Mike

sgrunch

italian, GENOVA
    Can some translate 'monkey chants' for me please'? It's about soccer, obviously.
    Thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:

sgrunch

italian, GENOVA
    Ciao, grazie!
    In effetti mi è venuto in mente anche: fare il verso della scimmia (Uh uh uh) visto che è un episodio di razzismo contro un calciatore coloured nel mezzo di un match internazionale.

-----------------------------

Si comunque il tuo 'cori razzisti' riassume ed esprime a sufficienza il concetto.
    Right then!

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >