football fan

fh3579

Chinese
The following sentence is cited from a textbook for English learners.
Tom is a Norwich City football fan.
What does the sentence mean? Does it mean Tom comes from Norwich city or Tom is a football fan of Norwich City team?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It's true that it might mean that Tom is a football fan who comes from -- or lives in -- Norwich City, but I think most of us would understand it with your second meaning: Tom is a fan of the Norwich City football team.

dadane

English (London/Essex)
    The 'c' of 'City' is capitalised for a reason: 'Norwich City' is the name of the team. Norwich, the city, would never normally have 'city' appended in everyday speech.

PS. It rhymes with 'porridge', the 'w' is silent.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The 'c' of 'City' is capitalised for a reason: 'Norwich City' is the name of the team. Norwich, the city, would never normally have 'city' appended in everyday speech.

[....]
    :eek: My first response is wrong then. :eek:

Tom is a Norwich City football fan can only mean that Tom likes the Norwich team.
    For the other meaning, it would be Tom is a Norwich football fan, without the word "City".
    (It's possible that this could also mean that he likes the Norwich team. I am not qualified to comment on that. Perhaps someone will step in to prevent my bumbling further.(

As a football fan, I'd take 'Tom is a Norwich football fan' to mean 'Tom supports Norwich City football club'.

But I may be wrong. Others might take it to mean 'Tom lives in Norwich and enjoys football'.

We have no way of knowing whether he supports Norwich City and/or one (or more) of the amateur football clubs there – probably with names like 'Norwich Rovers/Rangers/United etc.

< Previous | Next >