Football fans have jumped...

Karen123456

Malaysia English
Football fans have jumped when they learnt of Football Association of Singapore's (FAS) decision to purge the national team of all the players.

Is 'jumped' correctly used?

Thanks in advance.

• Copyright

American English
    Ah, I just answered your other question and wondered about this. It sounds odd to me because it tells me nothing. Did they jump for joy, jump because they were startled, or some other reason? I think you need to clarify why.

Last edited:

Karen123456

Malaysia English
    Thanks, Copyright.

The sentence is from a newspaper. I was surprised to read the word 'jumped' used in that sentence.

It doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:

Robañero

American English
    Copyright is right, you need to clarify what you are trying to express more precisely.

Apart from that, you shouldn't be using the present perfect of "jump", rather the preterit:

If they were happy with the news:

Football fans jumped for joy when they learned of FAS' decision to purge....

If they were sad:

Football fans were hopping mad when they learned....

or maybe:

Football fans "jumped ship" (stopped being fans) when they learned...

Karen123456

Malaysia English
    Copyright is right, you need to clarify what you are trying to express more precisely.

Apart from that, you shouldn't be using the present perfect of "jump", rather the preterit:

If they were happy with the news:

Football fans jumped for joy when they learned of FAS' decision to purge....

If they were sad:

Football fans were hopping mad when they learned....

or maybe:

Football fans "jumped ship" (stopped being fans) when they learned...
    I believe 'learnt' is the British version of 'learned'.

< Previous | Next >