1. speedier

    speedier Senior Member

    What about 'football ground' - does anybody know?

    Edit - A football ground is the whole stadium including the stands and the football pitch, but my dictionary gives campo de futból for both football ground and football pitch.

    Moderator Note: Material relating to a different term has been deleted from this post.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2009
  2. Agró

    Agró Senior Member

    Alta Navarra
    Cuando hablamos de "campo de fútbol" nos referimos normalmente al campo y a las gradas. El "football pitch" sería entonces el "terreno de juego" estrictamente, pero a veces también llamamos "campo" al "pitch".
  3. JB

    JB Senior Member

    Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    I assume you are both talking about soccer, right?, or does would this also apply to el fútbol gringo norteamericano?:)
  4. Agró

    Agró Senior Member

    Alta Navarra
    I would also use "campo de rugby" with the same meaning, ie both for the stadium and for the pitch.
  5. sound shift

    sound shift Senior Member

    Derby (central England)
    English - England
    If the ground is substantial, and you want to make it clear that you are talking about the structures as well as the pitch, you can say "el estadio" (or "la cancha" if you want an Argentinian flavour).
  6. speedier

    speedier Senior Member

    Thanks everybody for your contributions, and just for your information:

    Association Football, used to be called 'Soccer' in the UK (as it is in the USA), but it is now usually just called 'Football' over here.

    Rugby Football is is usually just called 'Rugby', though there are two types, each with a different set of rules: Rugby League and Rugby Union.

    And here is the history of American Football

    Thanks again.

Share This Page