Football is a fast game played in winter and early spring.

brian&me

Chinese - China
Sports are important in English life. The people of England are sports lovers. Some of the world’s famous sports began here, such as football and cricket. Football is a fast game played in winter and early spring. Lots of people play it in parks or playgrounds just for fun.

(Project English, Wang Dechun)

I don’t quite understand what ‘a fast game’ means. I wonder if it’s an idiom. Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot in advance.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    It is not an idiom, at least not in AE. And it's not a BE idiom that I've heard.

Football (called "soccer" in the US) is a game with a huge amount of running. The field is very large, and at any moment several players are running. There are almost no times when the play pauses, so it is a couple of hours of running.

That is the only idea I have, for why it is called "fast" in this sentence. The players move fast.

orchard

Turkish
    Football is a fast game played in winter and early spring.
    Stating that football is played 'in winter and early spring', the author implies what he meant by the word 'fast' here. Because air temperature in 'winter and early spring" makes it tolerable for the body to get hot, which is a result of a fast sport that requires you move quickly.​

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It is not an idiom, at least not in AE. And it's not a BE idiom that I've heard.

Football (called "soccer" in the US) is a game with a huge amount of running. The field is very large, and at any moment several players are running. There are almost no times when the play pauses, so it is a couple of hours of running.

That is the only idea I have, for why it is called "fast" in this sentence. The players move fast.
    Indeed. Players with or near the ball don't usually move slowly:)

brian&me

Chinese - China
    Thanks, everyone.

So football is a fast game played in winter and early spring makes sense. I thought it wasn't written by a native speaker and wasn't authentic. But I still wonder if there's another word to replace it, which may be more suitable.

Thanks again.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    You could replace fast with energetic:) It may be that the writer is thinking of a contrast with cricket as a slow game :eek: (that used to be true, but not so much in todays popular formats).

< Previous | Next >