Football jargon ?

ch01_kelly

spanish
Hello everybody,
This morning I read this sentence on a football commentary in a British paper.

Riyad Mahrez cleverly mugs off Patrick van Aanholt, dummying to contest a header before spinning in behind.

Even if I know the rules of the site quite well I am in real trouble trying to give my version of what really happened. I hope that the moderators have some mercy on me here....

The problematic terms: "mug off", "dummying" and "spinning"

It would be great to have this sentence "translated" into something more understandable for English students.

Thank you !

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    And this BE speaker - it looks like terrible English. Can you provide a link to the article (Google does not pick it up) so we can see if it is all this bad? I can make some guesses on some of it but: yuck:(

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It is "streaming commentary" typed hurriedly by someone for those who don't have video or audio but do have internet. These often seem to be written by commentators with poor English skills - this is a good example:( - and certainly not with English learners in mind.
    mug = probably means "to steal the ball from" van Aanholt but the "off" is weird/wrong. Perhaps he started typing with "steals off" but changed to "mugs" and didn't delete the off.
    dummying to contest = probably means he faked a move to challenge in the air as the opponent went up to head an incoming cross.
    spinning = as it sounds:) He spun around (rotated around his body's vertical axis) to come in behind the other player.

Please do not try to learn English from these commentaries - at best they give a rough idea of what is happening as it happens.

ch01_kelly

spanish
    JulianStuart thank you for your wonderful "decoding", very helpful to me. In fact I usually read the bbc football commentaries to learn something new but of course I understand that there are lots of expressions and slang words that can sometimes be very confusing even on a bbc site. The good point is to always learn something new as I learned from you today.

cheers....!!!:thumbsup:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    JulianStuart thank you for your wonderful "decoding", very helpful to me. In fact I usually read the bbc football commentaries to learn something new but of course I understand that there are lots of expressions and slang words that can sometimes be very confusing even on a bbc site. The good point is to always learn something new as I learned from you today.

cheers....!!!:thumbsup:
    That's fine, but also be aware they frequently contain English that is just plain bad - we wouldn't want learners to sound that bad because pf where they picked up their English :(

< Previous | Next >