(football player) back for Newcastle run-in

• Drizzt

Türkçe
    Hi Peppe,
    In this sentence it seems to me just like a hard competition which is defined by your attempt, i think the word "lotta" can be used to express "rush"
    Am i wrong?:thumbsdown:

baldpate

UK, English
    Hi Peppe,

In this context, I think "run-in" in fact has the same sense as the first meaning given here in Hoepli : lite, bisticcio, scontro.

"Barton torna per lo scontro con Newcastle"?

Drizzt

Türkçe
    I agree with baldpate, i exactly want to say what he said above
    -but i said the word may be "lotta" , he said lite / bisticcio -these two words are more suitable than my suggestion

Hi Peppe,

In this context, I think "run-in" in fact has the same sense as the first meaning given here in Hoepli : lite, bisticcio, scontro.

"Barton torna per lo scontro con Newcastle"?
    Hi Baldpate and Drizzt, actually I'm not so sure that means "litigio" because after having read this part of the article ("Newcastle United coach Chris Hughton says he expects Joey Barton to be available for the final five games of the season.") I thought "run-in" was referred to the final of the season. Am I wrong???

Last edited:

Drizzt

Türkçe
    Yes, maybe you are right, but i wanted to say both:
    it's final five games of the season, that's true
    but in the same time during the final five games of the season there is (or there has to be) a competition, a race (because the end of the leauge, and the teams have to hurry)
    may be we could say "Barton torna per finale litigioso"
    che ne pensi?

Yes, maybe you are right, but i wanted to say both:
    it's final five games of the season, that's true
    but in the same time during the final five games of the season there is (or there has to be) a competition, a race (because the end of the leauge, and the teams have to hurry)
    may be we could say "Barton torna per finale litigioso"
    che ne pensi?
    Maybe "Barton torna per un finale teso"???

Drizzt

Türkçe
    Yes, why not, i've read that news article about Barton,
    and the rest of the work is up to you, it is up to interpretation, you say "teso", i say "litigioso", i think both correct, just a matter of choice :)

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    OLD THREAD

I believe Peppe nailed it with "finale". This is a specific meaning of "run-in" in a sport context and apparently (see def. #1) holds for BE (AE users will possibly comment on this). This is another example (from the web) of this usage:

Despite their poor run-in, Atalanta have a solid, even pretty talented squad. (Explanatory note: Atalanta won only five times in their last 26 league games of the 2012-13 campaign).

< Previous | Next >